Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Longarm quilting is not cheating >
  • Longarm quilting is not cheating

• Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM

At 80 she can say whatever she wants even rude comments. Consider, her generation probably grew up learning hand quilting. However if longarm quilting is cheating, then a lot of people cheat.
    I didn't even know some LQS allow you to rent their Longarms. I will have to check into this with our local LQS. That would be something I would be interested in learning and doing.
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 AM

I am 76 and it's been my experience that old people who say whatever they think did it when they were young too. My mother was 96 when she died and while she would voice her opinion to me and my daughter she would never say rude things to others. So..... age has nothing to do with rude comments. When we're young we have to be more careful of what we say because most people won't let us get away with it. I had a sister-in-law that spoke her mind from the time she was young and her excuse was 'I just can't help it -that's the way I am".
    Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

they are both just different kinds of quilting...I actually like my machine quilting better than hand quilting although that is lovely too! To each their own. She also probably doesnt realize they are both hard and both forms of art.
    I wish I could do hand quilting sometimes but I cant,,a little bit of carpel tunnel..So I know sometimes I feel that way about computerized quilting and I had to stop myself and say,.,,Hey that is art too and to each their own! I hope you got your quilt done and its great that you are doing it yourself!
    Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM

There is a portion of the brain, I think in the frontal part, that controls your ability to stop yourself from inappropriate speech. As you age it deteriorates, and some people never understand that they are saying offensive things. I think there are some out there, who have always been offensive, and it just gets worse as they age. Some of them justify it when they are younger as 'just being truthful' when they are just being tactless. I personally prefer a little white lie and being told what I did was just great!
    Phyllis
    Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    If she would like to quilt all of my tops, I will let her.
    Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    Your gratious lack of response was problably to most appropriate response.
    At that age ( I am just learning) .. you just never know what will come out of their mouths.
    jeemmerling - your story is actually pretty funny once you get over the shock of it. Gosh I have seen an awful lot of gorgeous "defiled" quilts then! Lori had the truth of it: your polite non-reaction was best.
    So many of the replies here are funny. But, humor or indignation aside, I would like to add this:

I volunteered with the elderly for many years and know that aging effects each of us in such varied ways. People tend to assume that the person was always rude or inconsiderate, or etc. But there is every chance that this lady was not like this her whole life. When confronted with innapropriate behavior in an elderly person, please keep in mind that you just never know what it is that removed their social filters. I have had knowledge of several people's characters beforehand and know they would now be mortified by their current behavior. So, yes, she was unbelievably rude, but polite tolerance should be the response. Remember the saying "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM

At 80 years old, her mind may have slipped back to 5 years old. Or she could just be one of those people who never mastered manners...we all know a few of them.
    Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM

What a shame to have you quiet quilting time ruined by someone. machine quilting just as important and in some cases more acceptable to people than hand quilting. I only machine quilt now I did the hand quilting many years ago and got bored with the time it took finish the quilt.
    no matter what method you use it is ok. it is an individual choice.
    Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621
    I rent a longarm at my LQS and was quilting today (I.e. with headphones and tuned out to the world). A customer comes into the classroom where the longarms are and gets my attention and proclaims that what I am doing "is cheating, and defiling my quilt". I literally stood there speechless. She was in her 80's (I'm guessing) and has probably only ever hand quilted, but her total lack of filter just baffled me.

I had to get that off my chest I am so glad we all do our own thing on the Board and respect each other's amazing work!

Were her initials CLK? 80+ lady from church has banned me to hell for having our last raffle quilt machine quilted. And I've already got a couple cussing for the upcoming.
    Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 AM

How considerate of her to take the time out of her busy schedule to develop such an interest in your project! Maybe she's the one the "Church Lady" on SNL was bases on.