Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for a heavy iron >
  • Looking for a heavy iron

• Looking for a heavy iron

Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Default Looking for a heavy iron

Hi Everyone. I've searched the archives and have read about steam irons, dry irons, and light weight irons, but I am looking for a heavy weight iron. I've had 4 Rowentas that all lasted about a year. I currently have a Black and Decker and a Sunbeam. Even with steam, they are just not heavy enough to get wrinkles out of clothing and to get the flat seams I want in sewing. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear. Thank you!
    Old 01-10-2015, 09:57 AM
    Power Poster

They don't make them like they used to that's for sure! my iron that burned up on me was a heavy one. Had it for 43 years. Should have probably kept it for weight training (for osteoporosis)if nothing else. The 2 newer ones I have I don't believe together weigh what that one weighed.
    Old 01-10-2015, 10:08 AM
    Power Poster

I think maybe a water sprayer/mister is what you need to help with your wrinkles. I have a Mercedes benz rowenta that is both heavy and steams like crazy, but, I found with cotton, you have to have it quite wet before pressing the back in style cotton shirts I like to wear.

A wooden clapper helps to hold the heat in to set a seam. Maybe try one of those too.
    Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM

I picked up one of the older heavier irons for $3.00 at my local thrift store and I love it! So maybe try a thrift or second hand store!
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 AM

I just picked up a Sunbeam Turbo Steam GCSBCS-212 at Costco. I had purchased the lower model version a few years ago and it suddenly died so went on line looking for a reasonable priced replacement. The new one was originally $29.99 on sale for $23.99. It has a digital control and so far I love it. It's heavy and seems to take out the wrinkles well. Costco took back the dead one and gave us $32! So not only did I get a new iron but Costco paid me $10 to get it! I am not complaining!
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM

I have a shark and I Love it. No spits or spills.
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 AM

I bought the best Black and Decker at Walmart and found it much to heavy for me and I stopped using it. I have RA and it bothered my wrist. I am giving it to my DD and am back to my Rowenta.
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 AM
    Power Poster

I use a B & D Classic. It's heavy enough for my stuff. Hope you find one that works for you!
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:47 AM

I wanted a Rowenta for years and finally bought one when they went on sale at JoAnn's. Within a year it was junk and I was very disappointed. I went to a retreat and used a small Sunbeam and loved it. You can buy them at Target for about $25. LOTS of steam, heavy enough to press nice flat seams without hurting my arthritic wrists.
    Old 01-10-2015, 05:30 PM

I have a Rowenta as well as a Euro Pro that I use for both clothing and sewing. I consider both to be fairly heavy irons. I like a heavy iron as well. My grandmother's adage...let the iron do the work for you. My experience with water/irons is that you really need to use the proper water as recommended by the manufacturer. Even within the Rowenta brand (and probably others but Rowenta I know for a fact) some models require tap water; others require distilled. The only reason my previous Rowentas have died is due to droppage. I've never had a spitting/leaking issue with any of them (2 previous).