Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • looking for new machine >
  • looking for new machine

• looking for new machine

Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I enjoy my Brother 8500D and the Duetta as well.
    Don't think I would quilt aqueen or king size but works fine for others.
    Kirsten
    Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 AM

I'd go take the ones you are interested in for a test drive. Prices on machines vary so much. I was more interested in the service/warranty. I, too, went to drool over the Bernina 830. I ended up walking away with a 730e . If you are willing to look at used machines, they can be a good deal too.

That said, I just convinced my dad to get my mom a Brother CS 6000i for quilting. Comes w/ the necessary feet and for a beginner who may/may not stick with quilting, $130 seemed reasonable (although she WAS floored by the Berninas :wink: ) My mom is NOT into technology AT ALL and I think they scared her.
    Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 AM

I have two Bernina sewing machines and I love them both!!! One is a 200E and the other is the Aurora 440QE. I previously had a 180 and it was a super machine (sold it to get the 200E).

The new 830's are awesome -- and VERY pricey. If I could afford one, I'd buy it!!!!

Let us know what you decide!
    Old 11-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Hi.

I am a Bernina person all of the way. I have two sewing machines a 1260 and a 1530. I also have a Bernina serger and a Deco 650 which is an embroidery machine. Both of my sewing machines are the older models from the 90's. I bought the first one the 1260, when I worked for a dealer and used the machines everyday in the shop. I got a wonderful discount on it but it still cost me $1800. I purchased the 1530 from another dealer it was a trade in. I got it for $450 which was at least 1/4 of it's original price. My Deco 650 was a great deal when they came out with a new model. They even gave me a decent trade in on my previous model a Deco 500. I recently traded in my serger for a newer model when I broke one of the loopers. For a couple of hundred more than the repairs would have cost me I got a better machine that is easier to thread. I use all of my machines on a regular basis. I also own a Singer featherweight that I picked up for a song at a yard sale. I have been sewing, serging, emboridering or quilting at least three days a week for the last 40 years or so. I love my Berninas. I have been lucky enough to be able to afford good machines. I learned to sew on a Singer featherweight that my mother purchased in 1936. My parents gave me a sewing machine as a gift when I graduated from high school. I purchased a little free arm Kenmore when I had my daughter. It served me well for at least 15 years. Over the years I have made everything from seat cushions to prom and bridesmaid dresses. My favorite thing is quilting. I am leaving on a 4 day quilt retreat thursday. I need to get going and get my stuff together. Good luck getting a machine.
    Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 PM

I have the Baby Lock Quilters Choice which I bought 2 years ago. I absolutely love it. It sews by its self which is the greatest- I haven't tried it on a large quilt but it does what I need it too!
    Old 11-09-2008, 08:55 PM

I have a Bernina 1090 and it has been around for many years andstill works good :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bernina all the way :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
    I say buy a Bernina :!: :!: :!: :!:
    Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 AM

Hello! I have a Bernina 430E and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I did LOTS of research before purchasing it a little over a year ago. The Bernina's are all Siwss made with metal parts. For me, that meant a LOT. I also got the stitch regulatro, which I HIGHLY recommend if you're thinking of doing your own quilting....you can stipple away, and your stiches remain the same! :) This was one of the features I was really looking for. I also went with the "E" version (embroidery model), which I wasn't sure that I wanted, but now that I've learned to use it...I love it too! Hope this helps.
    Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 AM

I now have a BabyLock Quilter's Dream Series. I've had it 3 weeks! It's a dream to sew with. It seems to do everything but cook dinner, but then I have a husband who does that!

I originally had the BabyLock Quilter's Choice but wanted to upgrade. I'm very glad I did, my best friend bought my QC, she's sewn 4 quilt tops since she got it.

There's not a lot of information out there on them but they're worth the research. The accessories alone are somewhat daunting. I love the huge table that attaches to the machine, which makes sewing larges pieces much easier. The memory feature is wonderful as well.

just my .02 worth.
    Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 PM

I have the Bernina 440QE with the stich regulator and the embroidery module my favorite is the stitch regulator works wonders for free motino quilting you can never go wrong with a Bernina have you looked at the 830
    it is a big machine with a big price like 10,000 dollars on sale and it does not do much more than the 730 as far as I can tell but does have more room for a big quilt Good Luck with whatever you decide
    Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks to all for the response to my looking..... :shock: i can hardly wait until next week to take a look at the Bernina..will let you all know when the choice is made.,... thanks again..... :D