Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for pattern suggestions for.... >
  • Looking for pattern suggestions for....

• Looking for pattern suggestions for....

Old 12-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Tartan, the trees and wreaths are beautiful on Pinterest. I have so much costume jewelry from my mother and MIl that I didn’t know what to do with. Great ideas. Thanks!
    Old 12-28-2018, 02:53 PM
    Power Poster

Linda, have you seen those Love Letters quilts? Some have openings for old hankies or anything you want really. I just thought how lovely they would look with a brooch as a "clasp". They are gorgeous and I intend to make one someday.
    I'm trying to think of where I saw them......... brain fog here!!
    Old 12-28-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    Linda, have you seen those Love Letters quilts? Some have openings for old hankies or anything you want really. I just thought how lovely they would look with a brooch as a "clasp". They are gorgeous and I intend to make one someday.
    I'm trying to think of where I saw them......... brain fog here!!
    I did a search for that pattern and saw quite a few. Not sure if any were the one you meant tho. I have a lot of old hankies from my mom and grandma. Perhaps using them for the "flap" with a brooch pinned there as the clasp? I'm getting some great ideas here!!
    Old 12-29-2018, 03:40 AM

Is there a pattern somewhere that is like a box that a ring or other jewelry would be gifted in? My first thought was simply to create a quilt with squares and pin the brooches to the squares but then got to wondering about a "box". As another commented, this could get pretty heavy depending on how many brooches you want to display. And black velvet or a blender that gives that effect would be perfect for showing off each one.

I am reminded of a craft project that my mother did many years ago that she made a shadow box using a large antique picture frame. She used jewelry to create a "Christmas" tree shape inside the shadow box. The weight of the jewelry was supported by the back of the shadow box.
    Old 12-29-2018, 05:25 AM

I don't have any ideas for you but I hope you'll post a picture when you're through with your project, I'd love to see it. I also think "Red Garnet" had a great idea when she suggested decorating a lamp shade for you bedroom. Good Luck!
    Old 12-29-2018, 05:39 AM

wildyard, we are twins separated at birth. I never went anywhere without a suit jacket with a big brooch on it. Nothing I have now has the ability to hold a brooch firm, unless I pin it on through to the bra...Rob found my biggest one, a four incher! They did get a lot of use in my red hatting time warp.

Looking forward to more ideas to go with the good ones already shared.
    Old 12-29-2018, 06:08 AM

Marty Michelle has a pattern for a wall hanging that would be perfect. I have it and all the material to make one for my son's Olympic pins. Before I got it made I discovered that taking the pins off the tag backing or out of their original boxes devalued them so never made it. I will see if I can find the name of the pattern.
    Old 12-29-2018, 08:54 AM

What an opportunity you have. You are starting with something beautiful that you love and there is no better beginning. You could make a new design that is all your own. My first thought was something like a crazy quilt with all that beautiful stitching to add more texture than just the pins. In my mind's eye, I see a crazy quilt with satins and velvets stitched together around a center reserved to show off each of your brooches. A crazy quilt could even display those family heirloom hankies. Let us know what you come up with, it's definitely going to be exciting to see what you decide.
    Old 12-29-2018, 08:54 AM

I had a bunch of pewter buttons I bought from a boutique going out of business and wanted to display them. I digitized a button card. The buttons were heavy and had shanks, so I digitized a buttonhole for the shank and attached them on the back with a pipe cleaner - this way they can be easily removed.

If you google quilt for pin collection you will see lots of ideas. My favorite is the dress making dummy covered with brooches.
    Attached Thumbnails button-cards.jpg  
    Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM

I just made a wall hanging for a friend to display hatpins. It was very simple. I had a piece of antique tatting that was fairly heavy that I cut into lengths and stitched onto the sandwiched wall hanging. I staggered them so they look a bit like ruffles but they lay flat and I only stitched them on the top. Then I added binding, making sure to catch all the tatting edges, and a hanging sleeve. Sorry, I mailed it off before taking a picture.