Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking For A Pattern >
  • Looking For A Pattern

• Looking For A Pattern

Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 AM

This is an easy quilt using three fabrics. Go to the next page to see all the different ways it can be put together.
    http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...ick-quilt.html
    Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM

What about a sashed disappearing 9-patch? Each square is cut at 11.5" and the sashing is 2". One large block makes a really cute 36" quilt for a new baby.
    Sash the blocks before you cut and resew them. You could bind it with the same sash fabric
    Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    This isn't a baby quilt, but it could be made smaller and might work for you. It is two blocks, a rail fence and a 9 patch set on point. Just food for thought, in case it might work for you.

Dina
    This is awesome Dina! I hadn't seen this layout before. [or if I had, it got lost somewhere in the recess of my brain] I just might have to steal your idea. This would be a nobrainer for camp/retreat. What were your finished block sizes?
    Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM

I have a friend who is dealing with breast cancer and the many painful repercussions of reconstruction surgery. She has said that while she appreciates the effort to raise awareness and to raise money to fight cancer, the last thing she wants is to be constantly reminded of her cancer by being surrounded by lovely pink ribbons everywhere. This is just one individual, and your SIL's mom may have an entirely different response, but you didn't say exactly that it's the cancer victim who is requesting this quilt. Maybe it's meant as a surprise for her. There's no way I would make that quilt for her without knowing how she feels about the theme. It could be donated for a raffle if she doesn't want it, but just in case there's any chance she might feel as my friend does, I thought I'd put in my 2 bits on the subject. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, the thought will be appreciated.

Perhaps other cancer survivors would like to weigh in on this topic and we could get a more balanced view than just my one friend's side of it.
    Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 PM

I made- baby quilt recently that could easily be done with just 2 colors. It was a tumbler quilt. I cut 5" strips of fabric and used a template to cut tumblers. I alternated colors across the row and pressed seams in one direction. Repeat for alternate row, pressing in alternate direction so seams nest. It was more modern looking than the more traditional baby quilt. This was quick, easy and would work well with almost any fabric.good luck!
    Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM

Your story is heartwarming. A D9P is good and can work with 2 fabrics. Try searching online for two color quilts
    Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
    I have a friend who is dealing with breast cancer and the many painful repercussions of reconstruction surgery. She has said that while she appreciates the effort to raise awareness and to raise money to fight cancer, the last thing she wants is to be constantly reminded of her cancer by being surrounded by lovely pink ribbons everywhere. This is just one individual, and your SIL's mom may have an entirely different response, but you didn't say exactly that it's the cancer victim who is requesting this quilt. Maybe it's meant as a surprise for her. There's no way I would make that quilt for her without knowing how she feels about the theme. It could be donated for a raffle if she doesn't want it, but just in case there's any chance she might feel as my friend does, I thought I'd put in my 2 bits on the subject. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, the thought will be appreciated.

Perhaps other cancer survivors would like to weigh in on this topic and we could get a more balanced view than just my one friend's side of it.
    Thanks for thinking of that. I know that it can be a touchy thing sometimes. My SIL's mother knows all about the quilt and loves the idea. She has no problem with the pink ribbon. The quilt is for her granddaughter, my niece, and she's already started buying pink ribbon themed things. I've even made a pink ribbon boppy cover for her already.