Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person >
  • Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

• Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

Old 09-28-2013, 04:37 AM

How about making a armchair organizer that could also be used at the side of her bed and later, if needed, be used on a walker?
    Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 AM

A few of us have been sewing for the VA. One of our group sewed Wheel chair bags.
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:01 AM

Make her a sweatshirt jacket. It does not have to be labor intense. Just cut off the waist band at the bottom , cut the shirt up the center and put a binding on. Senior love the warmth of a sweatshirt but hate pulling them over their head. Consider putting a pocket on the front.. as they need a place for their tissues.
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 AM

Please be sure and 'personalize' the gift with her name. Many times gifts come up missing and the name helps them stay with the intended recipient.
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:29 AM

I've been making my mother in law wall seasonal wall hangings for her door, since there is not a lot of available wall space. She gets lots of compliments on them, and helps her interact with residents and staff. I made her a walker bag with machine embroidery and appliqué - something she uses a lot. I also thought of a small lap quilt, but perhaps also a shawl. Pillows for her bed of chair would be pretty and useful. Maybe even just a " bed runner" - one of those things that look like table runners only you place them at the foot of the bed for decoration. As cute as they are, I would stay away from coasters or "mug rugs" as older folks can sometimes be a bit shaky and if the cup was not put down correctly, the width of the coaster could cause it to spill.

Last edited by quiltmom04; 09-28-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 AM

Whatever you decide to make, I'd also include a photo of you sitting at her machine.
    She needs to see that the tradition condinues and that you love using it.
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
    A lap quilt was my first though as the elderly always seem to need them, you can make a small one & I'm sure shed love it!
    A lap quilt would be very nice. They are small and I'm sure she would use it every day.
    They can be as small as 40x40...my guild make them for cancer patients to use when getting their treatments etc.
    She would be very happy I'am sure.....
    Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

A lap quilt is a great idea, or something to throw over her shoulders, pillowcases, if she has a walker, a bag so she can carry her things around - there are lots of patterns for that. I speak from experience - when I was in rehab recovering from spinal surgery and having something to carry my things was a big thing when I had to use a walker to get around. A pretty wall hanging would also be nice, mug rugs and any number of things to brighten up and personalize her room.
    Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 AM

Don't know if this is applicable to this lady who sounds like a wonderful person; but there is an adult apron bib that I made for an elderly friend. It doesn't look like a bib so it won't make the person feel like they're sloppy, it is more like a vest that slips on from the front, sleeveless and goes down to about the upper thigh. If this sounds like something that would work let me know and I'll find the pattern and give you all the info.

Just remembered the remote pillow. It is a decorator pillow with pockets that you slip the remotes for various devices in, could also be used to hold other needed items. Easy to make and saves ups and downs once you're all cuddled up in your easy chair.

Last edited by BettyGee; 09-28-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: another idea
    Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Having an elderly mother and MIL, I'd just like to ask you to please not give her anything that focuses on the negatives of her age. Many older people are very sensitive about their lack of independence and coordination. Please try to see the vibrant person on the inside, rather than the older person on the outside.