Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lori Holt video of her new sewing space.... >
  • Lori Holt video of her new sewing space....

• Lori Holt video of her new sewing space....

Old 07-07-2024, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by michelem
    Thanks for sharing the link. I would have taken out a few walls and made a large space for everything. I’d have trouble remembering what was in which room! And that table in the room with fabric seemed high for cutting.
    Mine’s even higher, compared to my height. After my first adventure with herniated lumbar disks, we put large clay pots and wood pieces under the legs. I don’t have to bend at all to cut. Just reach forward. It’s made a huge difference. I’d never had back problems before - until I did.

charlotte
    Old 07-08-2024, 02:46 AM

Not my style of sewing space, all that "stuff" piled into different rooms would drive me crazier than I already am. Iwould have preferred a one level home with an entire backside to use as a sew area. I feel sorry for the moving company that had to move all that furniture to the upper level and get it through the doorways to set it up.
    Old 07-08-2024, 03:21 AM

My first thought was...Carpet? I am a messy hobbyist! I like my bare concrete floor. I cut/trim and throw trimmings on floor! Sooo satisfying. Then a quick sweep and all is good!
    Wanna make a mosaic or paint something? No problem!
    Plus my chair rolls great!
    It is not polished and stylish, but it's my happy place!
    Old 07-08-2024, 03:47 AM

Well, I just watched the video and my take away is it is her business space that is set up to allow her to work easily from a designated area of her home. As several mentioned above it is full of "stuff" and her collections that make her happy. I would not want to dust and clean all of the little pieces she has collected. But I bet she has someone "come in" to clean and keep everything look all neat and tidy. One of the blessings of financial success!

I like how she has repurposed so much vintage furniture but my heart hurts when I see it all painted and according to Lori repainted more than once. I would prefer it in its old natural finish. That is just my sensibility. Loved the idea of two dressers back to back with a covered plywood top as a cutting/ironing space. I was truly overwhelmed by the number of foam boards stacked in each room. Too many in my opinion but she is running a business from the upper level of her home while the majority of us are not. She needs space for her work materials and with thought, planning based on experience and knowing herself and how she works, it looks efficient. There are many good ideas for creating work space that can be gleaned from this tour.

In the end, I saw a cleverly planned use of space that meets her needs for running a successful business that maintains a warm homey feel. Not my style, but hers. Now back to quilting and stitching of all kinds from Lori.
    Old 07-08-2024, 04:01 AM
    Power Poster

Wood color makes a room feel dark and heavy to me. I like her color choices.
    Old 07-08-2024, 04:14 AM

I love it! So creative! I just love all the vintage mixed in with all of her quilting supplies etc. in all of the rooms. And the sewing machine collection! How neat!! The way Lori has all of her rulers and templates set up on the wall---love that idea! Super cool!
    Old 07-08-2024, 04:27 PM

I watched it and thought even with her having the business she does, that's way more stuff than I'd ever want to find a place for. Of course, she probably also has someone clean for her. I also couldn't make sense of having a whole room for cross stitch, a whole room for crochet, etc. Not my thing but glad she loves it the way she has it.
    Old 07-09-2024, 06:07 AM

why is the older I get, the less I want to collect? My mom liked collecting dishes and such. I still live in my childhood home. I keep looking at my glass doored corner cabinets in the living room where some of the pretty glass things are stored and I think, how would fabric, thread, even canned goods look in there! The house was built in the late 40's and lacks the storage spaces and cabinets need in today's world and also had a partially remedied lack of electrical outlets!
    I do have some antique type of furniture like a round oak table from my great aunt and uncle, an old library table, and those pressed back chairs but most of the old furniture just finally wore out after us four kids bounced around the house.

Last edited by sewingpup; 07-09-2024 at 06:10 AM.
    Old 07-09-2024, 09:00 AM

My own personal feeling...... if it makes her happy that's all that matters!
    Old 07-09-2024, 11:09 AM
    Power Poster

Does Lori Holt do all her sewing on the Featherweights?