Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lost the urge >
  • Lost the urge

• Lost the urge

Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Default Lost the urge

Don't know what happened, but I don't have the urge to quilt right now...but I do love quilting. It is the holiday season, and I so want to get back into the groove. Any suggestions as to what can I do to get the spirit back?
    Old 11-11-2013, 02:14 PM

How about going to a quilt show? Seeing what others are doing always gets me in the mood to create.

Or maybe take a class? That another way I get my brain into gear to do something in my sewing room besides watch tv. lol
    Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM

I think we all hit spots like this...I usually just keep looking thru my books and patterns and online at quilts or just take a break and sew something else for a while. I made a bunch of dolls a couple months ago while I was on a quiltless streak...LOL, it'll come back!!
    Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM
    Power Poster

I lost my urge for about a year. Nothing worked for me but time. No amount of suggestions about rearranging, cleaning sewing space, reading patterns, etc. motivated me. Just time passing. There have been several discussions about this and while they all gave good suggestions and they worked for some people, sad to say, I just had to wait it out. I hope you find something to motivate you, or, just accept that your urge is on hiatus!!!
    Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

I usually give all my machines a good cleaning/oiling when I don't feel like sewing. Then I am usually in the mood for a small project like place mats or runner just to make sure everyone is sewing well again after the cleaning.
    Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Except for 4 quilts I worked on at a retreat, I have not "quilted" in several years, partly because we had two of our grandkids while our daughter was in Afghanistan and partly because I was having thyroid issues and had no energy to do anything. In the last six months, I have, however, found lots of crafty projects to work on. I have made a travel set, which included a ditty bag, luggage tags, zipper pouch, and sleep mask; travelling dog bowls; glass koozies; iPad stands; cord keepers; and purse handcuffs. I took several classes at the Houston IQF and have worked on one project in a new bee I just joined. I have plans to make bowl potholders for my co-workers and wine glass coasters for relatives for Christmas. I have another retreat in January, so will probably finish the three tops and work on a few more UFOs.

Don't worry if you've lost the urge; find something else you are interested in doing. Sooner or later it will come back.
    Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
    Power Poster

1) drive over to Sew Elegant. 2) pet the fabric & see if they have a small project on display to get you going again.
    Seems to me a trip to my LQS always sparks my interest!
    Old 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM

For me, sometimes sewing is like exercise. I get away from my routine, then suddenly it has become a task rather than a gift. I simply have to force myself to start doing it again and before I know it, I love it again.
    Old 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've lost my mojo too. It's been a couple of months for me. I'm still looking at patterns and looking at other's quilts online, but so far I haven't felt much like quilting. I am, however, getting interested in Paper Piecing. I enrolled in Carol Doak's Paper Piecing class on Craftsy and it is really getting my interest up. I think I might just give it a try. So maybe if you try a new "type" of quilting, that might help. I'm hoping so at least.
    Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Sometimes going to the LQS and buying new fabric for a new project perks me up