Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • lost, vanished or stolen ???? >
  • lost, vanished or stolen ????

• lost, vanished or stolen ????

Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Sadly there are some not so good stories out there.

Gladly there are many good stories to be shared. And families who have been thankful for an interim home for their loved ones and the caring staff who made all their lives easier. Not everyone has the option to stay in their homes, and not every family has the ability to provide in-home care.

Let's not paint all care facilities with one brush stroke.

Remember bad news sells ... and unfortunately, not all the good news stories are shared as far and wide.
    I agree with you whole heartedly. Not all families are prepared mentally, physically or financially to take care of their loved one and this does not mean they don’t love or care about their loved one. Caregiving is 24/7. Some facilities provide excellent and loving care. If you ever have to look into one try to look beyond the flowers and decore. Also look to see how the staff interacts with the residents. Are the residents smiling, talking and interacting with each other and staff? Or are all of them plopped in front of a TV all day? What kind of activities do they have for the residents? Ask a resident how they enjoy living there. If you place a loved one in a facility visit at different times of the day & night. If you stop by every day at noon to have lunch with your loved one surprise them with a 7 am or 8 pm visit.

Try to remember that it isn’t always the staff taking things. I don’t know about the rest of the country but here in FL if you steal from an elder you go to jail if it's a nickel. There were employees who did steal where I worked and it is hard to figure out who it is (the PD should be notified.) Generally it’s the last one(s) recently hired. It makes me angry that anyone could ever do something so awful to an elder at a time they need love and care the most.

Some residents take things. Alzheimer’s patients do this because like a sweet child they take what they want, they don’t know any better. There are times too where the resident themselves may misplace their things, especially if they have Alzheimer’s (you could find a pair of glasses in the fridge or food hidden.) However, as I mentioned in an earlier post some residents take things when they don’t have Alzheimer’s.

Not all assisted living facilities have employees who steal, it just takes one bad apple.

The honest and loving employees don’t want this happening anymore than the resident or their family.
    It shouldn’t be this way but when the family is involved by visiting regularly their loved one sometimes gets better care. They don’t want complaints from family members. If you feel that your loved one is being abused or neglected approach the director/owner/decision maker immediately. Try to get the issue resolved at this level. They may not be aware of the problem an employee or other resident is creating. If this doesn’t help contact your umbudsman (there is no charge for this.) An umbudsman’s job is to protect our elders and they take their job seriously. No facility wants an umbudsman going in but they must allow them access to everything. The exception is to the resident’s medical records (in FL) and if permission is given by the resident or family member (who has power of attorney or guardianship) then they must supply this info too.

One thing to watch for in an Alzheimer’s patient is sudden weight loss, it must be reported to the residents Dr. immediately. Sometimes it means the patient is having a hard time using their eating utensils and the staff can cut their food ahead of time for them in the back (preserving their dignity) or offering them finger foods.

When I worked for an assisted living facility I cared about the residents, their happiness and their health.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up feelings that I was knocking anyone who makes the choice to place a loved one in a nursing home or assisted living center. I was simply stating my personal preference. Medical care to extend ones life is a choice, and a very personal decision to make. If I would choose to not allow medical care that would extend my life where living meant going to a nursing/assisted living home, that remains my choice. As long as my wishes are spelled out clearly in advance, as long as my children understand this, and as long as I am of sound mind to make that decision, then I expect my children to respect my wishes.

I have no doubt that my children honoring my wishes would be a difficult choice on their part.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of really caring, good people who work with the elderly.

I have no doubt that most of them want to see the elderly treated with kindness and dignity.

And I agree...bad news sells and travels faster.

I am just stating my personal preference in the matter.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

KayKwilts ... I totally respect your wish and desire to stay in your home.

The truth is that sometimes, no matter how much a family wants to respect their loved ones wishes, it is not within their ability to do so.

Sometimes the required care is not available in a personal home situation.
    Sometimes controlled meds/narcotics are required, and cannot be given outside of controlled environments.
    Sometimes the family members despite their good intents, are not meant to be caregivers, and would give care that would be truly classed as abuse.
    And more .....

And yes, all things are possible, within the home environment, for a fee. Sadly, many do not have the financial ability to provide in that way.

And please remember, as I said above, I do respect your desire.

What I am trying to do is to put forth a balanced perspective of some of the other issues in this matter. I've only touched on a few ... and know there are so many more points that could be brought forth.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your mama's passing. Yes, that quilt you can have and cherish. Lost my mom a little over a year ago. So nice to have her sewing machine and material she had collected over the years. Makes me feel closer to her.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 AM

This happened to a friend of mine and they even took her fake boob from a cancer operation and please don't take any jewelry as it will get stolen. She lost two gold necklaces. Put your name on all clothing and blankets with perm. ink. So sad that people/hired help steal things from the elderly.
    IdahoSandy
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 AM

We bought a new walker for my husband, who is in assisted living, beautiful blue with two wheels. I wrote his name with permanent marker in at least four places. Within six weeks, it was gone and he uses one of the generic walkers provided by the assisted living facility. I have asked the staff several times, but to no avail. I am amazed. I like this assisted living facility and want to trust them.
    Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up feelings that I was knocking anyone who makes the choice to place a loved one in a nursing home or assisted living center. I was simply stating my personal preference. Medical care to extend ones life is a choice, and a very personal decision to make. If I would choose to not allow medical care that would extend my life where living meant going to a nursing/assisted living home, that remains my choice. As long as my wishes are spelled out clearly in advance, as long as my children understand this, and as long as I am of sound mind to make that decision, then I expect my children to respect my wishes.

I have no doubt that my children honoring my wishes would be a difficult choice on their part.

I have no doubt that there are a lot of really caring, good people who work with the elderly.

I have no doubt that most of them want to see the elderly treated with kindness and dignity.

And I agree...bad news sells and travels faster.

I am just stating my personal preference in the matter.
    Kaykwilts, I absolutely respect and agree with what you are saying. These choices and decisions are personal and different for everyone. You are right, it is so important to spell out you wishes to your children.

There are people who don’t care and shouldn’t be in this business but fortunately they are not the majority. I want people to know that help is available to them regardless of what they decide on. The umbudsman is like a guardian angel in my eyes.
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    KayKwilts ... I totally respect your wish and desire to stay in your home.

The truth is that sometimes, no matter how much a family wants to respect their loved ones wishes, it is not within their ability to do so.

Sometimes the required care is not available in a personal home situation.
    Sometimes controlled meds/narcotics are required, and cannot be given outside of controlled environments.
    Sometimes the family members despite their good intents, are not meant to be caregivers, and would give care that would be truly classed as abuse.
    And more .....

And yes, all things are possible, within the home environment, for a fee. Sadly, many do not have the financial ability to provide in that way.

And please remember, as I said above, I do respect your desire.

What I am trying to do is to put forth a balanced perspective of some of the other issues in this matter. I've only touched on a few ... and know there are so many more points that could be brought forth.
    Thank you for your kind response and thoughtful insights.

I recognize that not all have the ability to chose to stay at home...for whatever reason.

For myself, I have given these issues much thought, and have talked with my 10 children at length about what we (meaning my husband and I) want when or if the time comes that we can no longer care for ourselves. Bear in mind that I gave birth to all ten of my children here at home, and do not, as a general rule, run to a doctor at the slightest "need"...I reach for natural cures and lifestyle changes first. My children have been brought up with this lifestyle.

But I recognize that some situations cannot be controlled or handled at home. I am talking to my children, making sure they have the understanding of what our wishes are, and am putting these in writing, hoping that this will make their decisions easier. I also am trying to plan financially to provide for our care at home, as this is very important to us.

I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. That was not my intent.

I think honest, open discussion of this journey we all make someday is the best way to explore and be informed of all the issues and choices available to us all.

Thank you again for your kind and thoughtful words....you have given me food for thought and opened up some ideas of some things I need to remember.....
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 AM

When my Mom had to go into a home she insisted on taking her jar of coins and some paper money with her. It was her stash for laundry in her old place and she felt she needed it with her in case she wanted to get something out of a vending machine. Well, only a few days later there were only a few coins left in the jar in her bedside table drawer. Mom said it just disappeared. We will never know what happened and who had sticky fingers.
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM

I have a sister confined to a wheel chair residing in a nursing home for the past 30 years. I cannot tell you how much of her clothing disappeared the first several years she was there. We would go to visit and find her is someone elses slip on duster. We decided as a family we had had enough of clothing someone's family. We took a perm. marker and wrote her last name on the outside in large letters on the back of her clothes. Since she was in a wheelchair it could not be seen when she wore it. Guess what...She kept all her clothes!!
    Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I agree. Sometimes it is the help that helps themselves and sometimes it is the residents. When my Dad was in a nursing home we always gave him pocket money so he would still feel his worth. After it disappearing several times we substituted play money. Dad did not know the difference because of his macular degenerate condition. One more dissapearance and it never happened again. Hope you fine the quilt.

Donna