Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Love your featherweight? >
  • Love your featherweight?

• Love your featherweight?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Believe me, you will love it! They are a no-nonsense machine that sews very nicely, is easily portable and very easy to take care of. Not much to go wrong on these little gals. Every single time that I use mine, I love it more!
    Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM

I have 7 of them, all in working and in very good condition. The least I paid was 350 and the most I paid was, well let's not go there. It was expensive but then it's a 222 free arm so it would be more.

Take it and if you later decide you don't want it you can sell it at a nice price compared to what you'll have in it.
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
    Pumpkinpatchquilter, LOVE your avatar quilt! Stunning.
    Awww, thank you! It's a quilt I'm working on that I designed in EQ. I have it all pieced except the borders. I have one finished goose border but am slacking on the other three sides lol*
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM

They are so much fun to sew on too!
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:34 PM

They remind me of watching my Mom, and her Mom sewing when I was little. They were not quilters, but made me and my sisters some adorable clothes. I bought one recently, and just opening the carrying case brought back the memories in force -it's not a musty smell, but an older, comfortable smell. And it sews like a dream - neat, tiny stitches.
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by meow meow
    Oh wow!!!! If you don't want it I will take it!! I own two of them one made in 1933 and one made in 1955, I wanted one made in 1954 but apparently there aren't any or none that I have found. I use both of them, they are quiet, make great seams, sew forward and backward, and they are light weight. One of mine has the table that it fits in flat and I have a large area to work in. I was so fortunate as one was given to me by a friend who didn't know what it was and when he brought it to me I could not bear to just let him give it to me so I gave him a quilt and $100.00. The one with the table I purchased for 300.00 only because I let my enthusiasm get away from me when it was being described and I put a price on it they originally only wanted $25.00. None the less I have two gorgeous machines that I use when I go to class or when I want to work in the den where I don't have lots of room. Again congratulations and if you decide you really (lol) don't want the machine I know someone who would say YES and cherish it forever................me.
    My Featherweight is born in 1954!! Just wanted you to know they did make 'em then. I'd like a '49er! LOL!
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Lightweight, I had never seen one until right before christmas. While shopping at a local sewing machine dealer a lady opens the door, she struggling to get through the door, the sales lady runs over and helps by taking he heavy box. She lugs it up on the counter and takes out this cute little sewing machine. Looks at me and says I dont know why they call these things featherweights. We played with the machine and talked about featherweight rage, and how the only good thing about them was the stitch and relability. I dont have one, would love one, but not for carrying to class, or the next room for that matter. Others here say they are lightweight?
    They are so light I can't imagine that anyone would think they were heavy. I can carry mine with one hand and lift it up to the counter. I can't do that with my Bernina.
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 PM

I have Ruby, 1947 and Libby, 1956. I want a 1952 model (my birth year). If I find her, her name will be CeeCee
    Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Take it, girl, take it. You will never regret it. Amen to all the positive comments previously.
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM

They (mine) is a cool little machine. I love having my young grandchildren "help" me sew with it on their projects. If I were given one, that would be so cool. It is so light to travel with also. And they are pretty sturdy little machines. :-D

Great for piece work. I use mine in the living room while watching TV with DH.