Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Love your featherweight? >
  • Love your featherweight?

• Love your featherweight?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Leatheflea, I'm guessing the heavy 'featherweight' was a 99 or a 128. Those 3/4 size machines are real foolers. My 128 weighs 29 pounds. Did it have the flip up bed? 99s and 128s don't have it. FWs do.
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Now I want one!

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    I use mine almost exclusively for piecing. TAKE IT! ;)

First of all they are antiques, they don't make them anymore, so you'll own a little bit of history.

Second they can be EXPENSIVE! I have heard stories of them going for $20 at a yard sale or being passed down in families...but people know what they are so those good bargains are far and few between anymore. I got a bug up my butt and had to have one a few years ago and ended up paying over $300. On the upside it was refurbished and from a sewing center so at least I knew it was in good working order. But they are solid machines and really last forever. Many of the electrical parts that go bad are still replaceable and you can find just about anything on Ebay.

Third, they are portable. This is why they were such a hot item in the 30's, 40's, and 50's when they came out! I take mine camping and to guild meetings. It's a FEATHER weight! ;)

Fourth, they are outstandingly reliable. Featherweights are simple machines, unless really abused they really hold up for a long time.

Fifth, they piece like a dream. I love them because there is just a little hole where the needle goes in and out, other than an open exposed feed like on my other sewing machines. On my newer machines my fabric is always getting sucked down into that exposed area, but you don't have that issue with the featherweight.

Sixth...it's just really cute and fun to sew on. You can show off to all your friends when you get it! ;)

Did I mention you should TAKE IT! ;)
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
    Okay then why own any other machine? Or am I missing something here?
    As much as I love my Featherweights, there are times when I'm making garments that I just need a zig zag stitch.
    I have 3 featherweights. 1951 Centennial model,1957 black
    and a tan 1961. I have pieced quite a few quilts with mine and even made a few garments.
    Sharon W.
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    They only weigh 11 pounds, so they're easy to tote for classes. Plus, they're cute!! I have a little re-painted red one that I won in a raffle (6 tickets for $5) She's a honey!
    Oh she is soooo beautiful! I have 2 black ones and on my wish list is a red one with the scroll plate like yours! I keep looking for one with alot of wear and have it painted but no luck yet. WOW and for 5 bucks! You are a lucky Duck! :thumbup:
    Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 PM

1. they are cute
    2. they are adorable
    3. they are sweet
    4. they are an antique
    5. they sew perfectly straight stitches
    6. they are light weight
    7. they hummmm
    8. they are always just right.

I have several, my favorite one is my1934 Feaherweight and her name is Abby. She is swesome! I was not fortunate enough to inherit any of mine.

I hope you take her! You'll love her as witnessed by others that have Featherweights on this board!
    Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 AM
    Power Poster

The early sewing machines (Singer) up till around the 1950's were cast iron and weighed around 30 lbs. The Featherweight weighs 11 lbs. I just love mine (in fact I have more than one) for piecing and I also release the pressure foot tension with the little screw on the top of the machine and do a lot of FMQ on smaller projects. I have a limited amount of space in my sewing room and have my regular machine and Embroidery machine set up in their permanent places. My little Featherweight sits on my cutting board and when I want to cut fabric, I just push it (it is on a protective placemat) with one hand to one side and do my cutting. Then I bring it back and start sewing. I have severe arthritis and it is the only machine I can carry without a problem.

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Lightweight, I had never seen one until right before christmas. While shopping at a local sewing machine dealer a lady opens the door, she struggling to get through the door, the sales lady runs over and helps by taking he heavy box. She lugs it up on the counter and takes out this cute little sewing machine. Looks at me and says I dont know why they call these things featherweights. We played with the machine and talked about featherweight rage, and how the only good thing about them was the stitch and relability. I dont have one, would love one, but not for carrying to class, or the next room for that matter. Others here say they are lightweight?
    This is my baby
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]137367[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-137362.jpe  
    Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 AM

Lol* Everyone is posting pictures, now I gotta show off mine! :)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-137492.jpe  
    Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM

Me too! Me too! I just got her yesterday, in fact! Her name is Cricket, and she was born January 23, 1950! :mrgreen:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-137536.jpe  
    Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
    Me too! Me too! I just got her yesterday, in fact! Her name is Cricket, and she was born January 23, 1950! :mrgreen:
    Moonrise ~ Can I ask you a question? Does your featherweight have the fancy scrolled face plate? The way the photo is taken, the face plate does not show. Here is why I ask: I own a 1955 Featherweight (her name is Fern, BTW) but I've been keeping my eyes open for one born in 1950 because that is my year of birth. However, if I'm going to end up with the exact same look, I think I might just stick with my ole'girl, Fern, since I know it is in great runnung condition, I've already had her tuned up by the local Singer man and I just cleaned and oiled it according to the David MacCallum book. I just need to clean and wax the exterior with Carnuba car wax and she will be ready to win a Featherweight Beauty contest!. So, I guess the only reason I might have to trade her in is if I could find one of those beautiful ornate looking machines in good running order. Does anyone know what was the last year that Singer stopped making Featherweights with the fancy scroll plate and frilly decal rather than the simple braid that Fern has?
    Old 01-29-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nita

Moonrise ~ Can I ask you a question? Does your featherweight have the fancy scrolled face plate? The way the photo is taken, the face plate does not show. Here is why I ask: I own a 1955 Featherweight (her name is Fern, BTW) but I've been keeping my eyes open for one born in 1950 because that is my year of birth. However, if I'm going to end up with the exact same look, I think I might just stick with my ole'girl, Fern, since I know it is in great runnung condition, I've already had her tuned up by the local Singer man and I just cleaned and oiled it according to the David MacCallum book. I just need to clean and wax the exterior with Carnuba car wax and she will be ready to win a Featherweight Beauty contest!. So, I guess the only reason I might have to trade her in is if I could find one of those beautiful ornate looking machines in good running order. Does anyone know what was the last year that Singer stopped making Featherweights with the fancy scroll plate and frilly decal rather than the simple braid that Fern has?
    Mine's got the straight-ribbed faceplate.

I tried to Google it and find out, but apparently there's not a specific year that the plates changed, according to this:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...cts-Myths.html

"It is impossible to state the exact date on which minor specification changes took place – for example the switch from "deco" face plate to straited design. Parts bins at the factory were topped up as they became low and it was quite possible for an early feature to appear on a later machine as the parts bin got lower again

The appearance of "straited" face plates on earlier machines can be explained in two ways. 1) If the lower thread guide was broken off the deco plate on an early machine the plate would be replaced by the serviceman with the only available spare – the newer straited plate. 2) Dealers would often "up-date" early machines they had taken in trade, or which had remained unsold, with the latest cosmetic parts to aid sales."