Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Low Cost Sewing Table >
  • Low Cost Sewing Table

• Low Cost Sewing Table

Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 AM

I sent an email to them a week ago last Thursday. Still no answer.
    Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 AM

I actually used to use almost that exact desk. It worked great for my Pfaff Varimatic. With the keyboard tray lowered (as it is in the photo), the work surface was pretty close to even with the sewing surface of the free arm of my machine. I was very happy with the setup in the small apartment I shared with my boyfriend.
    Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    I sent an email to them a week ago last Thursday. Still no answer.
    I just received a call from Carrie. She said there's going to be a some vibration with this table and any machine, but didn't feel it was anything to worry about.

I told her the story of my old machine literally falling apart after I'd used it on a card table, and she said most newer machines don't have those kinds of nuts and bolts that would present that kind of problem. However, she said the Safco table is a low cost interim solution for many of us and will suffice just fine. If we're ever able to afford a cabinet, that's always the best scenario, but even then, there could be some vibration with some cabinets.

She said Harriet is knee deep in writing for the fourth volume of Quilter's Academy and hasn't even had time to keep their blog updated, so Carrie made any entry there today. You can find this blog at:

quiltersacademy.blogspot.com

to follow some of the goings on as they relate to this series of books.

She was glad to hear of our interest in their books and suggestions. I really enjoyed my chat with her.

Hope this helps,
    Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Here's the clickable link, sorry 'bout that.

http://quiltersacademy.blogspot.com/
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 AM

I got an email today from Harriet Hargrave. See below.

Hi Kat,
    I don't know that this table will hold up with a really heavy machine sewing at higher speeds. It is an excellent height and a good size for sewing. I would suggest that you talk to your husband or someone that has handyman capabilities and see if there is a way to add more support to the tray if you are worried about it. There is not going to be a perfect table at a really low cost to fit everyone's needs. I haven't heard anything negative from anyone, so that is what I have to go on. You might want to search out something else that might fit your needs better. There is a lot of products out there that I don't know about. Good luck in your search.
    Harriet

My Husband is still going to reinforce it for me (someday) and in the meantime, I am using a lighter machine with it and it is working out wonderfully. It was great to hear back from Harriet.
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 AM

It is so nice that she emailed you back!
    Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    I got an email today from Harriet Hargrave. See below.

Hi Kat,
    I don't know that this table will hold up with a really heavy machine sewing at higher speeds. It is an excellent height and a good size for sewing. I would suggest that you talk to your husband or someone that has handyman capabilities and see if there is a way to add more support to the tray if you are worried about it. There is not going to be a perfect table at a really low cost to fit everyone's needs. I haven't heard anything negative from anyone, so that is what I have to go on. You might want to search out something else that might fit your needs better. There is a lot of products out there that I don't know about. Good luck in your search.
    Harriet

My Husband is still going to reinforce it for me (someday) and in the meantime, I am using a lighter machine with it and it is working out wonderfully. It was great to hear back from Harriet.
    Glad to know that you received a response from Harriet. My hubby is going to do the same to mine, well to both (after I receive my new one tomorrow). On our fixed/limited income, I really don't see myself ever having a cabinet, so this sounds like the next best thing to do.

I'd be interested to know how your hubby reinforces yours. I'll do the same when mine happens.
    Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM

I got really excited by your idea of using the keyboard shelf for my machine. I don't know why I never thought of trying this before. I have these computer tables in my workroom that I bought years ago from Sams Club, I think. They are shaped in a wide U, with the pullout shelf in the center of the U. The shelf seemed sturdy enough, and when I tried my machine on it today, the small extension table I have for my Bernina 1090, which is about 6x12 inches, was perfectly even with the surface of my table!

I am trying to teach myself to free-motion quilt and had been looking at a much bigger extension table, but this might work just fine. My body has to get used to the much lowered position though. I felt really awkward, sitting that far above my machine. I lowered my chair, but then I felt too big for the chair. Weird that.

The other problem was that even though I had all that even space around my machine, the small quilt sandwich I was attempting to quilt wasn't sliding around as freely as it did when the machine was above the surface. I think this must be a posture problem, in that my hands aren't putting the proper pressure where they should be. When I put the machine back to its normal place, the sticking problem solved itself. Time to practice more.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Old 09-17-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Marquilt
    I got really excited by your idea of using the keyboard shelf for my machine. I don't know why I never thought of trying this before. I have these computer tables in my workroom that I bought years ago from Sams Club, I think. They are shaped in a wide U, with the pullout shelf in the center of the U. The shelf seemed sturdy enough, and when I tried my machine on it today, the small extension table I have for my Bernina 1090, which is about 6x12 inches, was perfectly even with the surface of my table!

I am trying to teach myself to free-motion quilt and had been looking at a much bigger extension table, but this might work just fine. My body has to get used to the much lowered position though. I felt really awkward, sitting that far above my machine. I lowered my chair, but then I felt too big for the chair. Weird that.

The other problem was that even though I had all that even space around my machine, the small quilt sandwich I was attempting to quilt wasn't sliding around as freely as it did when the machine was above the surface. I think this must be a posture problem, in that my hands aren't putting the proper pressure where they should be. When I put the machine back to its normal place, the sticking problem solved itself. Time to practice more.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Hi,

I too have a Bernina 1090 and was also really excited at how well it fit on this table's drop down tray. When I started sewing with it on this table tray, I also experienced the same issues you mention. While I have heard that it is helpful to look down on your quilt while FMQ, this position made me quite uncomfortable. My knees were no longer at a 90° bend as they should be for correct ergonomics. I have to agree with your statement of feeling "too big for the chair."

I continued to be concerned about the machine vibrating while I sewed, even at slower speeds and on a mat too, that I finally thought to contact the knowledgeable folks at the Yahoo Group, The Bernina Thirty Somethings. I posted about this new table and my concerns about my machines vibrating. The concensus was unanimous that I should not use this type of set up, that vibration was not good for our machines. These opinions came from long time Bernina machine owners as well as CBT's - Certified Bernina Technicians.

Their advice was of course that a regular cabinet was always the best choice, but if that was not possible to use any sturdy table of appropriate height. Accommodations could be made to make for a FMQ type of surface by raising the working surface up to the bed of the machine, ie an extension or foam for example. Some folks used a drafting chair if needed to bring them to the new correct height of their working surface.

I recently read from Ricky Timms on the Quilt Show where he actually installed a wooden platform under his chair so he could work on a one size table does all - tall enough for cutting and pressing on, yet also adapted for sewing on, too.

This got me to thinking, as my DH had made me a wonderful table a couple of years ago from some beautiful scrap wood that was supported on one end with two lovely wooden kitchen cabinets and a bookcase type thingy at the other end. I struggled for over a year trying to sew on this too tall table, never thinking of anything such as Ricky's idea. I'm excited that we will be bringing this table back in to my small sewing room pretty soon, and am on the hunt for a taller chair or something to make it work better for me. I had already found ways to raise my cutting surface on one end of the table so I wasn't having to bend over too far. Here's a picture of my table.

My sewing table
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]93980[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-93975.jpe  
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM

I was just wondering if those of you who purchased this table are still using it and loving it. I am trying to decide between this and a Sew Perfect table, and would love some feedback from quilters who have been using the table for 6+ months. thanks!