Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Low Cost Sewing Table >
  • Low Cost Sewing Table

• Low Cost Sewing Table

Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 PM

Mine is set up on a hardwood floor in my sewing room.The rubber corrugated shelf liner is a good buffer if you experience vibration. I use it under my Serger
    Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    Got mine set up and put the Juki on it. Did some piecing yesterday, but I have to say that I did have a bit of vibration.
    Is your Safco table set up on a carpet, per chance? Mine is, and does vibrate slightly at high speeds. I'm wondering if it's the carpet that might be causing the vibration?

Thanks,

Karla
    No carpet. And I do get a bit of vibration, especially when I start sewing a bit faster. Like I posted, I did do some free motion quilting on it last week, I don't know if I just got used to it or what, but just a small vibration. I am concerned that the screws underneath will start to loosen. I put my hand there every so often, just making sure, I guess. My hubby is going to still do something to reinforce it for me, but till then, I will use it when needed. I do have other machines on other tables. soooooooooooo.. As I stated earlier, I did write to Harriet Hargrave, last Thursday, no reply as yet.
    Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 AM

Got mine set up and put the Juki on it. Did some piecing yesterday, but I have to say that I did have a bit of vibration.
    Is your Safco table set up on a carpet, per chance? Mine is, and does vibrate slightly at high speeds. I'm wondering if it's the carpet that might be causing the vibration?

Thanks,

Karla
    No carpet. And I do get a bit of vibration, especially when I start sewing a bit faster. Like I posted, I did do some free motion quilting on it last week, I don't know if I just got used to it or what, but just a small vibration. I am concerned that the screws underneath will start to loosen. I put my hand there every so often, just making sure, I guess. My hubby is going to still do something to reinforce it for me, but till then, I will use it when needed. I do have other machines on other tables. soooooooooooo.. As I stated earlier, I did write to Harriet Hargrave, last Thursday, no reply as yet.
    Thanks for your reply. So, I guess it's not just the carpet. Well, it's only minimal, and like you point out, the shelf can be reinforced. I still think it's the best deal for what we get out of it. I'll ask my hubby to do the same. In fact, I'm going to order a second one today so I can have two machines set up like this at all times.

Maybe Harriet's on vacation. I'm emailing her today, too.
    Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 AM

I guess that my Bernina Activa is lighter weight than the machines that you have, because there is no vibration with my table.
    Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Do you think if you cut some pieces of hi-density carpet pad to place under the legs that it might help?
    There are also "Moving Men". Mine are cupped white plastic with thick hi-density foam in the cup. They work great for me.
    They come in different diameters as for size.
    I bought mine from Home Depot.
    I have some heavy commercial machines that would flatten the carpet and pad without them.
    Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM

It's not the table that is vibrating, it is the part that holds the sewing machine, making the machine vibrate or maybe I should use the word "bouncing". That part of the table is what my hubby will reinforce for me. Yes, the Juki is a pretty heavy machine, and I also have the knee lift there, which can also put some pressure on the keyboard table part. But the table is great otherwise, I will definitely use it with a lighter weight machine, see what the difference is. Just been too busy now to be changing machines around. Hopefully will get caught up here soon, maybe send some pix.
    Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks,

Karla
    I just called the Harriet's Treadle Arts, her shop in Wheatridge, CO to inquire about this vibrating. I was told that "Harriet was there this morning...", so she will have her daughter Carrie return my call this evening. How exciting is that? :thumbup:

As soon as I get my response, I'll let you all know. :D
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Looking forward to hearing what her daughter said, quiltgranny!
    Old 08-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks for contactig her and asking!
    Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    Looking forward to hearing what her daughter said, quiltgranny!
    Hi,

I haven't heard yet. Don't know if the person I left the message with forgot to give Carrie my message or just what. I will try to call today if I don't hear anything soon.