Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LQS Farmer's Wife Club - typical? >
  • LQS Farmer's Wife Club - typical?

• LQS Farmer's Wife Club - typical?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 AM

I did a class at my LQS like that. It was a block of the month club. It cost $5 to sign up and there were usually 3 color ways to choose from. If you brought back the completed block to the next meeting the next block was free. For those who didn't complete the block it was $5 for the kit. You would be amazed at the number of people who didn't get their block complete during that time. The LQS made money because people shopped before or after the class and many purchased the setting kit and additional coordinating fabrics.
    Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me. Have fun!
    Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 AM

I just finished a quilt at my LQS, and also did another a year or so ago that was set up in a similar manner. It was a great learning experience, and didn't cost much, so it was a ++! I say "Go for it! You won't be sorry!" :thumbup:
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Sounds like fun. I, too, have the book and CD. Word of warning - the CD only gives you templates. The templates are 1 to a full 8 1/2 X 11 page which means printing 111 pages. I questioned them and they sent me a link to a revision which gives you ALL the templates on a page for each block - still have to print 111 pages as there are 111 blocks - STRANGE!!!

I haven't started this quilt as I have a lot of UFO's, one of which is a Dear Jane.

If anyone wants the templates grouped by block, send me an email and I'll send you the files. My email is [email protected]. I'd send the link, but can't seem to find it. Funny how things disappear from my computer. Operator error?
    Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
    Starting in August a Farmer's Wife Club will meet on the second Saturday of each month at my local quilt shop. Enough people have signed up that there will be two sessions - 10:30 and 1:00 - each session lasts one hour.

For a one-time $30 fee you get the Farmer's Wife book and "other goodies". At the meetings you will get tips on how to do some of the blocks and a look at whatever is new in the shop. You will also have the opportunity to buy 6 fat quarters for $10 and to take advantage of one other Club Only discount.

The lady who will run the club meetings is one of my favorite people at this shop. I know it will be well run if she's in charge.

You do not have to bring finished blocks in. You can make or not make; show up or not.

I'm excited about it, but have no idea how clubs of this kind are typically run. Everything this shop does is a first time trial effort since it only opened in March of 2010.

Anyone else been part of something like this?
    Can someone also join via internet and mail order???
    Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Sounds like you are getting a great deal for a minimal amount. I would sign up too if I was there.
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM

Sounds like fun. Enjoy!
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM

that looks like a Fantastic book! with 111 block patterns, and over 250+ pages, including an INDEX!!!! cost is about $18. You didn't say how many weeks your Farmer's Wife Club will meet; or how many sessions. If you meet 10 times, that's just over a buck + per class. Sounds like a really fine use of your time; find a friend to share the gas; better yet, two friends. And tell us how it goes...
    Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Share the gas - in our little town nothing is more than a 4 minute commute. When our kids come back for a visit they stay amazed at how quickly we navigate around here. I do have a friend who joined and we'll ride together to visit and save a parking space.

bonnyh - I've been reading about the template thing and right now just hope the teacher has a magic plan for that. You don't happen to live in Houston, do you? I know someone with your name there.

At first I just wanted the discounts and didn't plan to do the quilt, but .. the more I read the more tempted I am to try it. It would certainly be a stretch for me.

liese - internet and email - doubt it. This little shop just isn't set up that way. There are several threads on this board of people doing this quilt though.
    Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM

I've done this many years at my LQS. Unfortunately the price has climbed to $25 for the whole year's project. She also allows us one free pass but otherwise we have to pay $5 to get the next material if we don't show our block.

Usually they don't give us a quilt's entire pattern so that we can come up with our own setting (and not all have quilts that are identical!). It usually turns out well, although I tend not to finish my quilt top.