Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LQS Survival >
  • LQS Survival

• LQS Survival

Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM

I like to buy good quality fabric, LQS type, but usually I am looking for something specific and if I have to get it at Pacific Fabrics, that is OK, because they carry good quality. Not exactly LQS, but better that WalMart or Joannes.
    Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM

I dropped 179 bucks at mine yesterday, it is an hour away so I stock up, There is one who gets snooty because I but lots off the remnant table but I always buy a yard or two of somethig I gan't live without two. And 179 bucks on remnants is NOT a small chunk of change!
    Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 PM

We have a couple of wonderful LQS's about 25 miles from me. When I go to the "big city", I make a point of stopping in even if only to buy a fat quarter. My budget is extremely limited these days due to being disabled and I have a stash that rivals many a shop so fat quarters are about the best I can do.
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I buy wherever I see something I cant live without.. CL, EBAY, Here, Joannes, Hancock, Online, LQS, flea markets, swap meets, garage sales.. I'm very fortunate to be able to afford what I want when I want it. But why? If grandma could use moms old clothes then so can I..
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 AM

I prefer LQS, especially on the road because I get to enjoy the variety, I prefer to pay a bit more for fabric that is high quality and will last, and I have found that JoAnn's is not any cheaper without a sale anyway. A lot of LQS have a back room of clearance fabrics. I have encountered the same problem with Hancock's as others, they hire people who are not knowledgable.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 AM

As a former LQS owner, I understand what the forum is saying, however, I had my regulars, that came in once a month and spent $150-200.00, which was nice that they could afford it. But when you have only 1/2 dozen to a dozen people that do that, it's not enough to pay the bills. I found my customers like the quality of my fabric, but, preferred it alot more if it was on sale. My heart goes out to all Small Business Owners, not just LQS,people are looking for bargains, and unfortunately they are either in the Chain Stores or on the internet where overhead is minimal. We need to be faithful to those businesses that offer customer service, friendly advice and a warm smile.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 AM

I've always shopped the LQS, even as a teen. I'd guess 90% ofy stash came from various small shops. But I don't feel guilty about buying at a chain or online when it suits me either. I've never found sashiko supplies anywhere except Shibori Dragon, which is a family owned business, but not local for me. Their service and selection are amazing. My LQS has never bothered to get these for me. And I hate to bring it up, but LQS staff are *sometimes* quite snooty. If I go with my boys, who are just getting into sewing, I'm made to feel as if I've brought filthy dogs in with me. And they behave just fine as well as add to the purchases. Plus I follow a religious dress code and am often treated as if I'm from outer space until the transaction goes through and they exhale as I walk out with my purchases. And actually, I clearly wear more fabric than the average LQS shopper, this should be taken as a sign that I'll be buying more. Best LQS-rich place I lived? Wichita, KS. Miss it. Chicago has shockingly little. I recently found Quilter's Destination in Arlington Hts, IL it's great and has nice staff and owner. Fabrics 2 Etc in Elmhurst nice too.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 AM
    Power Poster

Our LQS will be either sold or closed by next March. It is a great little store, the owner/operator is delightful and it is always a pleasure to stop and buy there. Unfortunately, at $25-$30 (Aus.) a metre (a little over a yard), I could not afford to shop there as often as I would like....(she doesn't overprice, it's a reality of being small...not much bargaining power with suppliers) and it appears I am not alone. Our cost of living here is quite high, and will be getting higher. Many people on even average wages are finding things tough. Those on a fixed or low income, even tougher.

Retail generally is taking a bit of a financial hit at the moment...despite Christmas being almost upon us, spending is not as high or as much as they would like it to be. If the big retailers are finding it a struggle....small business is copping it even harder.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 AM

I wish I could buy more at the LQS but I just would spend a lot of time sitting around getting depressed, because I would have nothing to sew. I am disabled due to kidney disease, I had taught school for 20 years. That is an awfully short career. My retirement and Social security almost give me the bare basics and pay the about 5,000 a year I have to pay for prescriptions, and then many more thousands to pay medical bills. I am grateful for Hancocks and JoAnns. because of them I can sew and quilt.
    Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 AM

I think it's great that many ppl can afford to pay the $9 yd & up at LQS.Helps the economy,but for myself....fabric is bought on sale.
    I wouldn't buy a purse or a chair without shopping around, same goes for fabrics.
    Nothing stays the same forever,try buying USA made fabric.Maybe all shops will eventually be on line only.Fine with me...better prices & shop from home.