Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LQS Survival >
  • LQS Survival

• LQS Survival

Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 AM

I am one that supports my LQS. I find the fabric is a great quality and always works up perfectly. I'd rather buy less and have better fabric.
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 AM

I keep on buying, but a little here, a little there. QSs have the best fabrics, hard to resist. I just try to watch sales, & not buy alot at one time.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM
    Dkm

I support my quilt shop on a regular basis. Let's look at it from the other side. The quilt shops need to support us. To explain: there are times we need help, maybe a special item or just a few extra inches of material. These are just a few of the examples. Those few extra moments or helps will make you want to come back and shop again. I belong to a club at my quilt store and we get little perks for being at part of it. We are really in this together and must support each other.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM

I know that quilters are struggling, arn't we all. Thats why the majority of our fabrics sell for $4.50 yd and we have a sale room strating at $3.49 yd. I'm lucky because I have the shop in my home and don't have to pay $1000 or more a month for rent and utilities.

We got to warehouses to purchase fabric and seldom buy from fabric reps. That means that our fabric is usually last years, but I don't think that quilters vare. What they want and look for is the pattern and quality along with a good price.

I'm afraid that some LQS will close this year, because they aren't as financialy stable as we are, and we all lose when that happens. I believe that the more LQS that are out there the better, and believe in working with my fellow LQS's to bring quilting to new quilters everwhere.

In our area we all fill a nitch and usually don't offer the same things.

We also ship throughout the US t5o quilters that live too far from LQS's.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
    According to Project 95, 95% of quilters do the majority of their spending at chain stores, leaving LQS survival dependent on the other 5%. To me, that is a scary statistic. Considering the quality, customer service, and educational opportunities that are available at LQS, the chain stores can't compete (except for the prices.) It's sad, but easy to see why LQS go out of business.

The 3/50 Project challenges folks to choose 3 independently owned business and spend $50/month at each.

I think that one aspect that is easy to forget, is that shopping local and supporting our independent business owners, boost local economy far better than shopping at chain stores. More of the tax money stays in your own community.

Something to think about . . .
    WOW ... really surprised to see that kind of ratio ?! SURELY more than just 5% of us spend more at the thousands of LQS in the US - plus shops online. Quilting is a MULTI-BILLION $$$ industry, it's hard to believe that 95% of quilters spend mostly at chain stores vs LQS.
    I used to work & teach at 2 LQS, and I'm lucky enough to have 4 shops within 30 min. and more beyond that. I always shop LQS first. 3 of the 4 shops near me have good sales and clearance fabrics. One does not - and seems to be hanging on "by a thread". We have a Joann's & HLobby but many of their fabric $ are just as high. Our LQS are holding prices at $9-9.50 max, most are still $9.
    I hope that quilters continue to support our LQS through these tough times - however we can - for the service, the classes and social network they provide. You can't get that at the chain stores !! :)
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM

My LQS are all at least 30 miles away in different directions. I do shop at all of them, just now often. I do a lot of shopping online and get awesome deals. I don't buy much fabric from Joanns, because, well I usually don't like it, but do buy notions and batting, etc. I have paid $9-10 a yard for fabric, but I have to really love it.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM

I love my local quilt shops. One sent me a card saying they were having all their fabric for $5.99 on Black Friday. Guess where I went! Bought way too much but they are just the greatest ladies. The fabric at LQS is so wonderful, I just want to roll in it. Would cry if I lost my LQS.
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    There is no way I can afford the $9-$12yd at my LQS... it is just waaaay out of the budget.
    I would love to support them, but I have to support me too :wink: :D:D:D
    I agree! :D
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63
    I dropped 179 bucks at mine yesterday, it is an hour away so I stock up, There is one who gets snooty because I but lots off the remnant table but I always buy a yard or two of somethig I gan't live without two. And 179 bucks on remnants is NOT a small chunk of change!
    I would have asked her what's wrong with buying remnants? It use to cost full price didn't it? And I would say I don't own a pair of snooty panties or idiot panties because I can afford to buy happy panties because I shop on the remnant table. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I agree with most of you. Individually we have to shop and save where we can. I like my LQS and frequent the chains.