Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LQS Survival >
  • LQS Survival

• LQS Survival

Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Originally Posted by raedar63
    I dropped 179 bucks at mine yesterday, it is an hour away so I stock up, There is one who gets snooty because I but lots off the remnant table but I always buy a yard or two of somethig I gan't live without two. And 179 bucks on remnants is NOT a small chunk of change!
    I would have asked her what's wrong with buying remnants? It use to cost full price didn't it? And I would say I don't own a pair of snooty panties or idiot panties because I can afford to buy happy panties because I shop on the remnant table. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    These days there is no room for snooty retailers. You did them a favor, spending on remnants, happens to be a big profit center for them if you think about it, they already made their bucks off the rest of the bolt, and those remnants could just hang out forever if you hadn't come along. The only lqs that I know of around my parts is a gouge shop, so I do not shop there, it would have to be joanns or walmart, or online, not that I buy that much, but walmarts lately has had some nice fabrics worthy of the work:-D
    Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 AM

I go to my LQS on a regular basis but I've not been spending as much on regular priced fabric as in the past. I now have a stash. However, I go for the sales and to get quilting thread. I go for the Marti & Me Club and, well, just to keep in touch w/ staff and running into other "quilty" friends.

That said - you know, the most expensive 44" wide batik I've ever seen is at Joann's for $12.99. The batiks at the LQS are so much prettier (to me) than the ones in the big box stores. I just picked up a yard a few weeks ago of a new arrival priced at $10.50/yd and that's the most expensive one I ever purchased at my LQS (it was marked down).
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilterella
    As a former LQS owner, I understand what the forum is saying, however, I had my regulars, that came in once a month and spent $150-200.00, which was nice that they could afford it. But when you have only 1/2 dozen to a dozen people that do that, it's not enough to pay the bills. I found my customers like the quality of my fabric, but, preferred it alot more if it was on sale. My heart goes out to all Small Business Owners, not just LQS,people are looking for bargains, and unfortunately they are either in the Chain Stores or on the internet where overhead is minimal. We need to be faithful to those businesses that offer customer service, friendly advice and a warm smile.
    As a former LQS owner myself, my heart goes out to you! Owning a small business was a huge eye opener to me. I've come to realize that maybe I can get along with less. I've given up a few "non-essentials" in my life in order to be able to purchase things I need/want. And I've finally figured out that I don't have to have everything I want. (My depression era parents would be proud!) I'm not trying to judge anyone or any opinions expressed here. Just speaking from my own experience.
    Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Those statistics sound about right. I'm afraid the LQS will go the way of the corner grocery store. Nobody will pay half again for groceries, even if they DO get personal service, and I'm afraid that's what will happen for fabric shops. And when the big box stores have driven competition out of businesss, don't be shocked to see prices rise. Or as some of the board members have found out, even big box fabrics are going away.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM

I usually support my local quilt shop, even if the fabric is
    $9 or $10 a yard, but if they do not have it, I have had wonderful luck with Quiltshops.com. I get top quality from most of the shops
    that I visit and the prices are less. Some of those shops do have fabric that is the same as my local shop. I avoid them and support my local one.Lately I have been trying to use up my stash. I'll never live long enough(I'm almost 75) to use it all up.ha,ha.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Those statistics sound about right. I'm afraid the LQS will go the way of the corner grocery store. Nobody will pay half again for groceries, even if they DO get personal service, and I'm afraid that's what will happen for fabric shops. And when the big box stores have driven competition out of businesss, don't be shocked to see prices rise. Or as some of the board members have found out, even big box fabrics are going away.
    I don't think the "big box" stores will put many LQS out of business ... they can't offer the same fabric lines and choices. Moda, Westminster, Hoffman, Benartex, P&B etc don't sell to chain stores.
    It's the ONLINE shops & sellers that will continue to take more sales $$ from the LQS.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I don't think the "big box" stores will put many LQS out of business ... they can't offer the same fabric lines and choices. Moda, Westminister, Hoffman, Benartex, P&B etc don't sell their lines to chain stores.
    That said, it's the ONLINE shops & sellers that will continue to take more & more sales $$ from the LQS.
    It may be smart business for LQS to also do online sales (although it's very time consuming and you about have to be able to afford help) . . those shops I don't mind so much ordering from. The online merchants that bug me are the ones that are able to cut prices of the LQS on NICHE (not in chain stores) products because they are owned by corporations such as Amazon.com, but portray themselves as brick and mortar independent shops. Pays to do some research. And yes, I do buy online at times . . . quite good at searching for fabrics out of print fabrics actually (because I run out)!
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

I buy a little from everywhere. I love the idea of supporting my local quilt store, but truth be told, a lot of their fabrics don't appeal to me. (We only have 1 quilt store in town) I would also love to see a great selection of thread. Also, whenever I've been in to purchase I've asked about classes, etc and have given my email but I've never been notified. The people are friendly and helpful but they could do much better if they were better organized.

ETA: Just this week I have bought fabric on sale and subscribed to a BOM. All because the retailer sent me an email advising me of what they have to offer. This is money I could have spent at my LQS if they could have shot off an email or two to advise me of what they have to offer.
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:22 PM

The suppliers to the LQS don't give deals to the LQS. The LQS has to buy every yard they get. They don't sell the first ten yards at one price and then the next yards at a lower price. The remnants cost the store as much as the fabric at the beginning of the bolt. They are probably losing money on them.
    Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM

I go to lqs for actual quilt fabric. I have one in progress and two waiting to be started right now. But also spend plenty of time at craft stores, Hancock, Hobby Lobby,etc., for smaller fun projects. I love to get a bargain. Found cute Christmas fabric half price for hot pads, aprons. I think there is a place for all of these retailers and am lucky to live where there is a good variety of stores. On-line shopping is not something I like to do for fabric. I love to feel the fabric! Have only ordered once to fill in for not buying enough at the lqs and it was gone.