Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LQS Survival >
  • LQS Survival

• LQS Survival

Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 AM

well said JJs!
    Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 AM

I try to buy from my local stores when I can. It's actually strange here because there are so many to choose from. Within a 15-25 minute drive I can go to more than 10 stores that are quilting stores, sewing machine sales, etc. Makes it hard to feel like I'm doing enough for any of them ;) I try to buy all my batting and some fat quarters every time I'm in my favorite shop, that way I'm consistently spending at least a little there. I try to pop in to other shops and buy a few fat quarters, a yard here or there or a charm pack whenever possible. I have a nice stash so I wouldn't say I spend a ton, but I do try to support the local businesses as much as I can.
    Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 AM

oh and due to quality and customer service issues, I broke up with Joann Fabrics. I have resisted the urge to go back for almost a full year now. Kinda proud that I've avoided it there and stuck to my guns.
    Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 AM

With all due respect to all the posts, maybe I misunderstood the original post and question..I think it was whether you think local quilt shops will survive, not about quality of fabric.

I am not sure why people are getting offended and feeling the need to defend where they buy and what they pay. People are different in every way, in what they believe, in how they live, in what they make and how they spend, I think it all makes the world an interesting place.

Some people feel like they should support American products, local shops and farmers, some people feel it's not their responsibility to do so...who is right and who is wrong? Depending on where you stand, the answer will be different. And that is OK.
    Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 AM

I love my LQS, but I'm also fortunate to have 2 "fabric outlet" stores in my area. They have good quality fabrics at less than half the price of the LQS. maybe not always the latest and greatest, but it works for me. I can always find something I "need" want at the outlet stores.
    Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by candi
    With all due respect to all the posts, maybe I misunderstood the original post and question..I think it was whether you think local quilt shops will survive, not about quality of fabric.

I am not sure why people are getting offended and feeling the need to defend where they buy and what they pay. People are different in every way, in what they believe, in how they live, in what they make and how they spend, I think it all makes the world an interesting place.

Some people feel like they should support American products, local shops and farmers, some people feel it's not their responsibility to do so...who is right and who is wrong? Depending on where you stand, the answer will be different. And that is OK.
    I agree with what you are saying, not sure why this is getting out of hand but I think that we all will continue to buy where and what is right for us. Whether it is at the LQS or a larger retail outlet. No one is right and no one is wrong and we need to support each persons right to buy, make what they want. So far when a picture of a quilt is posted I have not seen one comment that says I hate your choice of buying the fabric from a large retail outlet or the LQS.
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM
    Power Poster

. . . the original post and question..I think it was whether you think local quilt shops will survive, . . .
    and the rest of the question/statement - - -

if quilters are unable and/or unwilling to pay "usual" quilt shop prices for fabrics and other goods/items found in the shop.

Or to put it another way -

Will LQS owners be able to stay in business if customers will only buy marked down fabrics and other items?

(This is not meant to be a judgment call - it is meant to be a reality check)
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    . . . the original post and question..I think it was whether you think local quilt shops will survive, . . .
    and the rest of the question/statement - - -

if quilters are unable and/or unwilling to pay "usual" quilt shop prices for fabrics and other goods/items found in the shop.

Or to put it another way -

Will LQS owners be able to stay in business if customers will only buy marked down fabrics and other items?

(This is not meant to be a judgment call - it is meant to be a reality check)
    wheather they stay in that busines or not is their problem let them go into another business! I don't understand why it is quilters problem if a LQS goes out of business? maybe they aren't good business people! Everyone that has a business of any kind can fail. The economy is bad so we like a bargain.
    Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
    JJs
    Banned

ok, here's a prime example - friend of mine fell in love with a NEW line of fabric - her LQS owner has the line priced at $11.25 a yard... so she searches a little online because the LQS didn't have the complete line... imagine her surprise when she finds it ALL online for $8+ a yard!! AND free shipping when the total was over a certain amount...

gee hmmm, let's guess about where my friend got her line of fabric....
    What is her incentive to shop local? A few cents per yard or maybe even a dollar a yard, but THREE dollars a yard difference??
    Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
    Power Poster

I am in that predicament. I have also been buying used fabric from other people's stash off the board here or from online. The only things I bought from my LQS was several bolt ends for $4 a yard to be used as backing and a dresden plate ruler. It does not help that my LQS got rid of carrying 1930 and Civil War reproduction fabrics. I was also not able to find any real thematic guy fabric. I ended up getting that at Walmart but they are also closing down. The civil war and 1930 I now get off ebay or from small online quilt stores. Pretty good prices too.