Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lucky Purchase? >
  • Lucky Purchase?

• Lucky Purchase?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dyer804
    I found an ad in the classified section that said "sewer's Dream". A lady was selling her stash and listed cottons, knits, denim, etc. take all for $75. I called and told her I was really only interested in quilting cottons but she wanted to sell the lot. Later she called back and her husband advised her to sell what she could and if I wanted she had about 64 yard of cottons for $50. I rushed over and it was spread over her living room as she tried to measure how much she had. Most were 1 - 3 yard pieces and she said she would throw in the scrapes and small pieces. I took them! Many do not have names on them but "feel" fine. Some with names are vip Cranston Print Works, Hoffman California, Peter Pan Fabrics Inc., Timeless Treasures, and Joan Kessler for Concord Fabrics. Are these "good" cottons? She also had a stack of blue and a stack of green bandanas, about 12 each. Any ideas for them? Also gingham in several colors, but mostly 1/2 yard or small pieces. Is there a pattern featuring gingham? Did I get a good deal? I'm happy to build my stash, but hopefully I got usable fabric. Thanks for your help! Pictures below.
    California??? Why can't we find those kids of deals where I am?

:mrgreen:
    Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Wish I could find a deal like that!! Good for you, enjoy.
    Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM

WOW WHAT A GOOD DEAL YOU GOT.'

LUCKY YOU.

cassiemae :-)
    Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM

What a find! I keep reading about people finding these great deals and I keep looking, but no luck! At that price, even if some aren't such great fabs for quilting (but from the sounds of it, most are), you could either donate the REALLY iffy ones to a senior center or an elementary school with a sewing program, or maybe find some other crafty use for them. However, many fabs (provinding they are suitable for quilting, but just ugly or non-descript on their own, make great fillers in quilts and take on a whole new look sandwiched between other stunning fabrics! I can't bare to part with a single scrap from my stash, so I would just keep them until the right project presented itself! Meantime, I will keep looking for those windfalls-looking and hopeing-----(sigh)
    Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
    Wow! I think you got a great deal! Some really petty fabrics! I like the badana fabric too. I bought a lot of several different colored bandanas from an auction, but I have yet to decide what to do with them...I just knew they'd make a cute quilt...someday! :)
    I'm looking for a response to the bandana idea too. I've been collecting bandanas for a long time and was hoping to make them into a quilt someday. I think they might be too thin tho. So I was thinking you might have to back them with something to make them more sturdy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I will be watching. Thanks.
    Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM

OK< I jsut googled bandana quilts and came up with a bunch of patterns, but to me they were a bit too basic and the instructions didn't have pictures. I also went to "images" in google and saw some great looking quilts. Check it out. I didn't really see anything I particularly liked, but maybe you will.
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM

WOW what a find. What are you going to make next?
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    Originally Posted by SNUGQUILT
    Wow! I think you got a great deal! Some really petty fabrics! I like the badana fabric too. I bought a lot of several different colored bandanas from an auction, but I have yet to decide what to do with them...I just knew they'd make a cute quilt...someday! :)
    I'm looking for a response to the bandana idea too. I've been collecting bandanas for a long time and was hoping to make them into a quilt someday. I think they might be too thin tho. So I was thinking you might have to back them with something to make them more sturdy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I will be watching. Thanks.
    I was thinking the same about the bandanas as they are not as thick a most cottons.
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Terrific deal! Awesome for you! I need to keep my eyes out!
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM

You hit the payload girl, you have somemighty fine fabric. Enjoy and have fun with it. Woo hoo !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: