Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine basting question >
  • Machine basting question

• Machine basting question

Old 07-18-2024, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

I only use glue on 80/20 or cotton. My favorite the last couple of years has been Missouri Star Best Blend batting.
    Old 07-18-2024, 07:05 PM

I have used a pin baste method that some dear one on this site described more than ten years ago. Instead of the curved safety pins that I find a bit stressful to deal with, I use long sewing pins with flat heads, such as butterflies or dots,, and hold them in place by sticking them into foam ear plugs. They very rarely come out without my pulling them, and they're highly visible as you go along. I lay out the layers and start pinning from the center working outward. The hard part is lining up the pieces, but you'd have to do that the same if you were spray basting. Spray basting gives me headaches - not a good sign. The ear plugs come in various colors and are sold by the jar full, I think 100, on Amazon and in pharmacy departments. They are reusable countless times, so a real bargain. One thing to note is that if your pins are not good quality, leaving them in your fabric for a prolonged time (such as in a UFO that got stalled at that point) could result in rust stains. If you're not sure, test one by putting one on a damp paper towel for a few days.
    Aside story: In our previous house, we had a hide-a-bed in the sewing room. My daughter was staying in there one night and didn't know why I had a big jar of earplugs in the sewing room. She used a pair to get a better night's sleep because the grandfather clock was too disturbing.
    Old 07-19-2024, 02:25 AM

I don't always use this, but it has worked for me. I got some wash-away thread and basted my quilt by running it up/down and across in a few crucial spots. That held the sandwich together enough to quilt in more detail with regular cotton thread. After it was bound, I washed the quilt and it turned out great.
    Old 07-19-2024, 03:08 AM

I use the Elmers glue method but slightly water down the glue and I use a 3” wide paint brush to smooth out the glue. I use either Warm and Natural or 80/20 batting. Either let sit for a few hours or press with a warm iron to set up the glue.
    Old 07-19-2024, 04:26 AM
    Power Poster

If you use straight pins to basted, Pinmoors are wonderful. I don't use mine anymore for basting but use them every time I use pins. I detest pin pricks.
    Old 07-19-2024, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch
    I got some wash-away thread and basted my quilt by running it up/down and across in a few crucial spots. That held the sandwich together enough to quilt in more detail with regular cotton thread. After it was bound, I washed the quilt and it turned out great.
    I've used water soluble thread too, it worked beautifully.
    Old 07-21-2024, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    If you use straight pins to basted, Pinmoors are wonderful. I don't use mine anymore for basting but use them every time I use pins. I detest pin pricks.
    I never heard of these before. Do they really stay on the pin until you remove them, or are they prone to falling off as you move your fabric around? Do they dull your pins?

Last edited by quiltingcotton; 07-21-2024 at 02:23 AM.
    Old 07-21-2024, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
    I have used a pin baste method that some dear one on this site described more than ten years ago. Instead of the curved safety pins that I find a bit stressful to deal with, I use long sewing pins with flat heads, such as butterflies or dots,, and hold them in place by sticking them into foam ear plugs. They very rarely come out without my pulling them, and they're highly visible as you go along. I lay out the layers and start pinning from the center working outward. The hard part is lining up the pieces, but you'd have to do that the same if you were spray basting. Spray basting gives me headaches - not a good sign. The ear plugs come in various colors and are sold by the jar full, I think 100, on Amazon and in pharmacy departments. They are reusable countless times, so a real bargain. One thing to note is that if your pins are not good quality, leaving them in your fabric for a prolonged time (such as in a UFO that got stalled at that point) could result in rust stains. If you're not sure, test one by putting one on a damp paper towel for a few days.
    Aside story: In our previous house, we had a hide-a-bed in the sewing room. My daughter was staying in there one night and didn't know why I had a big jar of earplugs in the sewing room. She used a pair to get a better night's sleep because the grandfather clock was too disturbing.
    Are the ear plugs you use like a silicone? Do they stay on the pin until you pull it off? Do they dull your pins?

Last edited by quiltingcotton; 07-21-2024 at 02:31 AM.
    Old 07-21-2024, 04:36 AM

I am a spray user. I have not braved using white glue, yet. Everyone that switched touts its virtue. Before spray basting, I used large safety pins, about every 4-6 inches, starting in the middle. I have a tool that helps with securing them. I removed them as I quilted on my domestic. I have not tried basting with thread.
    Old 07-21-2024, 03:02 PM

I put the quilt on my long arm as I would any other quilt. Then I set the stitch length to the longest stitch and using odds and ends of bobbins and thread stitch across the quilt in rows about 3 to 4 inches apart. I can then hand quilt it in my Q-Snap floor frame.