Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine basting question >
  • Machine basting question

• Machine basting question

Old 07-23-2024, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

I think the method of machine basting would depend on how large the quilt is. I machine quilt on my longarm, so machine basting is usually not necessary. However sometimes I want to be able to roll the quilt back and forth as I quilt, so I use a basting stitch to stabilize the entire quilt before starting the actual quilting. I have already stitched across the top of the quilt while loading it on the frame, and then I stitch big wavy lines across the quilt, starting at the top and going all the way to the bottom. I always remove the basting stitches from an area before I do the actual quilting, because otherwise the quilting stitches are sure to go through some of the basting thread, making it hard to remove.
    Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    my experience is it works better on cotton batting but that is just my experience
    I agree. I tried glue basting with poly batting. It did not hold well at all on it so I went back to either pin or thread basting. I have since found out that I like the cotton batting much better even though it is more expensive and have glue basted my next project. It is waiting for me now to start FMQ.

Shari
    Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
    Power Poster

I have tried this and it works fine. I'm too lazy to make it when I want it though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIqjGgPj9vk

She made a video 8 years ago and recently updated it
    The old version:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRrFGFXXfc
    Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

I have run basting lines. Just did it on the current quilt, and they came out fine. Of course,I am not doing elaborate quilting.

What keeps me from glue basting is that on a larger quilt, there just isn’t that much extra water in the tub for me to feel confident that the glue can really wash away and not migrate back into the batting.

I have an old Whirlpool with a large tub and also a Speed Queen that fills fully with water, so not sure what other washer would provide more assurance. I do know that I nearly destroyed a quilt with a pre-washed, dark batik that bled onto the front. Color catchers were used, but if there isn’t enough extra water, they can become trapped between the folds of the quilt and never do a great job.

Just saying,
    charlotte
    Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts
    I have run basting lines. Just did it on the current quilt, and they came out fine. Of course,I am not doing elaborate quilting.

What keeps me from glue basting is that on a larger quilt, there just isn’t that much extra water in the tub for me to feel confident that the glue can really wash away and not migrate back into the batting.

I have an old Whirlpool with a large tub and also a Speed Queen that fills fully with water, so not sure what other washer would provide more assurance. I do know that I nearly destroyed a quilt with a pre-washed, dark batik that bled onto the front. Color catchers were used, but if there isn’t enough extra water, they can become trapped between the folds of the quilt and never do a great job.

Just saying,
    charlotte
    I wonder why either one of your machines wouldn't suffice? I sometimes presoak for 10 minutes and even if I don't presoak I don't ever
    feel any glue residue. I don't use that much anyway. As for migrating back that could be said for anything in the machine -the starch if you use it, the detergent, fabric dye, chemicals from color catchers etc. and that would also be in all the laundry. No one I make quilts for ever mentioned that there was something in them to irritate their skin or cause an allergic reaction. I wonder if anyone else has had those issues.
    Old Today, 03:42 AM

I’m probably just crazy, but that batik fade was devastating. I’d carefully set up a gradation of yellow-green to just a whisper in one corner, and now they’re kind of pale blue. A second wash might fix it - or maybe make it worse.

The Whirlpool can be controlled with a manual dial, so I fill, soak, agitate a few times by hand, and rinse well.

So, somehow, in my imagination, that glue could go in any direction but be more or less diluted by water.

hugs,
    charlotte