Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which Machine is better (according to everyone here) >
  • Which Machine is better (according to everyone here)

• Which Machine is better (according to everyone here)

Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 AM

I have a Pfaff with even feed and the way it sews on quilts can't be beat!
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
    Juki TL-98Q

PFaff Triptonic 6270 w dual feed???

both of these are up for sale for $300 a piece and I get first dibbs...Just not sure which one.

TIA
    It truly depends on WHAT you need a machine for ... both are very good machines. I have a Pfaff (not that model) and the dual feed is fantastic for piecing, straight line quilting, bindings, etc. My Pfaff is good for quilting smaller quilts & projects but has limited throat space
    The Juki is very fast, straight stitch only & has a larger harp than std. It is NOT a longarm though. I have a V. MegaQuilter which is very similar. They are GREAT for machine quilting - but you may not want it as your only machine ?? Those are SUPER prices for both, if they are in good shape. Is it possible you can buy BOTH ?? If so, you'd have the BEST of both worlds !! :)
    Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM

I need help and just registered. Does anyone know anything about a Free-Westinghouse sewing maching? I bought one at a garage sale for $1.00 this weekend. It was dirty and I cleaned it all up to find that it runs but cant find an on/off switch.
    It is a model 903 manufactured by Koyo in Japan. I have read that the company merged with Royal Sewing Machines in the mid to late 20's. Don't know how old this one is but has a plastic case. The machine weight 35 pounds! and is very simple. It is blue and white (light cream) with a gold metal bar across the front with Free-Westinghouse on it. Would like to find more info if I can. Any help would pe appreciated.
    Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM

I have two other machines that do embroidery AND one that has a ton of stitches, this would mainly be for just quilting...I am leaning towards the Juki :-)

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    Juki TL-98Q

PFaff Triptonic 6270 w dual feed???

both of these are up for sale for $300 a piece and I get first dibbs...Just not sure which one.

TIA
    It truly depends on WHAT you need a machine for ... both are very good machines. I have a Pfaff (not that model) and the dual feed is fantastic for piecing, straight line quilting, bindings, etc. My Pfaff is good for quilting smaller quilts & projects but has limited throat space
    The Juki is very fast, straight stitch only & has a larger harp than std. It is NOT a longarm though. I have a V. MegaQuilter which is very similar. They are GREAT for machine quilting - but you may not want it as your only machine ?? Those are SUPER prices for both, if they are in good shape. Is it possible you can buy BOTH ?? If so, you'd have the BEST of both worlds !! :)
    Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM

If you have other machines, then I'd def. go with the Juki for quilting ! :)
    Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM

$300 for the Juki TL98Q, heck, I would buy it and I already have a Juki TL98E. That is a fantastic price for a fantastic machine.
    I love the Juki for piecing, purse/tote making, and especially like if for free motion quilting.
    I have never had a Pfaff, but I would say, buy Both!!!
    Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Unless you need a stitch regulator then the Juki would be the way to go. More room in the throat area and stitches very fast!
    Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM

my sewing buddy has a juki and won't use another machine. My mega quilter is very similiar. Straight stich only but it has an automatic bobbin winder!!!Yeh
    Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepshed
    Tia - what do you intend to USE this new machine for ? I am guessing the Tiptronic has a variety of zigzag type patterns, and the Juki is straight stitch... so what you would like to DO with the machine would be a deciding factor I guess....
    Well i already have two machines, but I am leaning towards the Juki so I could eventually put it on a frame for machine quilting.....I am seeing that it is considered a long arm and that would be a major plus to have.
    The Juki isn't a long arm machine. I think they may have mislabeled it in the ad. It's arm is 9".

Short-arms start at 13", mid-arms at 16", with longarms at 20". Perhaps they meant that it could go on a frame kind of like a longarm. And it could. A frame something like a Grace type frame (there are several brands). My friend had this same model of Juki set up on a frame for a few weeks before she upgraded to a mid-arm. She had about 5-6" of complete quilting space with that size arm. The amount of free space you have at the end has to do with the type of batting you use. Most agree between 2-3 average.

Hope this helps some. They are both good machines - just depends on your needs and/or desires. The price is certainly good!

Oh, I forgot...One of the Juki's, and I don't remember which one, has to have special needles. They have to be ordered. JoAnn's, Hancocks, etc. don't carry them and it can't use the more common branded ones. You may want to look that info up, so you're informed. Sorry I can't remember which one it is.
    Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 PM

I have pfaff quilt expressions 4.0 I enjoy it