Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which machine do you like best? >
  • Which machine do you like best?

• Which machine do you like best?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Lily which I love very much. I do all of my machine quilting on the Viking. For piecing, I usually use my Vintage Singer 301. I especially like the Viking because of the "needle down" feature.
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 AM

I was looking at the Vikings at JoAnn's a few weeks ago. They had one model for aboaut $800 which I'm thinking about. I have had Pfaff for about 15 years, several models, but they are terribly expensive and I don't use all of the features (I don't do embroidery)
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 AM

I have a Viking Daisy and a Viking Designer 1, I have owned other machines, but for me, I will never purchase anything but a Viking. The quality of the machine is absolutely amazing. But again, that's me. My aunt has a bernina which she loves. I would suggest just sewing on different ones and you will know which you like best.
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 AM

I agree. Take some fabric and thread, if you have a favorite brand, and spend some time with it.
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by cbjlinda
    I have had just about every machine there is over the years but my most favorite is the pfaff" If you ever try and find a used one you will know just how much they are loved lols. The built in dual feed system is the greatest.
    I feel the same way. You can get a really nice used Pfaff for around $800 and it is worth every cent. My first Pfaff with IDT was a 2054/56 and I was amazed at how well it handled everything. I have been gradually adding to my Pfaff collection ever since that fateful day.
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
    Originally Posted by cbjlinda
    I have had just about every machine there is over the years but my most favorite is the pfaff" If you ever try and find a used one you will know just how much they are loved lols. The built in dual feed system is the greatest.
    I feel the same way. You can get a really nice used Pfaff for around $800 and it is worth every cent. My first Pfaff with IDT was a 2054/56 and I was amazed at how well it handled everything. I have been gradually adding to my Pfaff collection ever since that fateful day.
    I'll third this recommendation!! I have a Pfaff 2030 and a Janome 6600. I still love piecing on the Pfaff!!
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 AM

The new Bernina 3 series is nice if you're looking to spend under $1000. I believe they start around $750 and go to $1200. They look really nice, and you'll get that wonderful Bernina stitch!

Here's the link to them on the Bernina website: http://www.berninausa.com/3series/EN-US/default.html

And here's a video about the machine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oQbGKRcZGU

It would be a great piecing machine, and you get the hands-free system there as well.

Plus they have a bunch of great videos to show you how to do things. :P
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 AM

My fav machine for piecing is an old Singer that operates with your knee. My BF bought it for me at a thrift shop for 100.00. It looks and works like it is brand new. Cabinet looks new too. Wish I knew how old it is.
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Me too" When I went out to buy mine I was sold on and old viking that already had but after trying the pfaff that was it for me: since then I have bought another one just in case I need to ever take it in for any reason I don;t want to be without my dual feed. I do have two brother machines also but one is for emb. and the other is a small travel sewing machine.
    Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone, for all the input. It is a BIG decision & I suppose a personal one as well. I'm taking all of your advise & sorting through my options. You blessed me with your responses. I'll let you know...but, I warn you, it usually takes me a while on a decision like this & I am willing to wait for a GREAT once I do decide. I'm definately a shopper/buyer.