Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine eats my fabric >
  • Machine eats my fabric

• Machine eats my fabric

Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 AM

If you use cheap paper pads from dollar store, it tears easily. Not too many bits of paper remaining. I fold the paper over seam and it tears easily as it is perforated anyways. I do learn from everyone's hints with their sewing machines, always figure it is worth a try.
    Old 11-30-2013, 03:48 PM

I saw a great tip recently where you should start sewing 1/4 to 1/2" in then backstitch to the edge of the fabric then sew forward. Works.
    Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by beaglelady
    I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 870 which I am very happy with except it eats the fabric at the beginning of the seam. I was wondering if I bought a straight stitch needle plate (the one with one small hole) would that help the problem?
    I have same machine, sometimes it works to hold the threads tightly at the beginning but I almost always use a "leader" cloth to start off which. I know you can buy a straight stitch needle plate but don't want to spend the money. P.S. I am also a "beaglelady" Love those beagles!
    Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM

To quilting in my 60s - Hello to another beagle lover! Aren't they just the cutest friendliest dogs!
    Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM

That's an easy fix, most machine will eat the fabric in the beginning. If you could just hold the thread down for a second when you begin, problem solved. Some people use a piece of scrap fabric to start but I found the first way to be the simplest. Try it, it works!
    Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie
    That's an easy fix, most machine will eat the fabric in the beginning. If you could just hold the thread down for a second when you begin, problem solved. Some people use a piece of scrap fabric to start but I found the first way to be the simplest. Try it, it works!
    If only it were that simple. For some machines/fabric it might be but it doesn't always work for everyone and every situation.