Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine Embroidery Class, today >
  • Machine Embroidery Class, today

• Machine Embroidery Class, today

Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Machine Embroidery Class, today

Got a Bernina 830 about 2 yrs ago and started the learning process. STUFF got in the way and I forgot all the embroidery I'd learned. Today, I was able to go again. We did a free standing lace angel with Razzle accents. I still have 2 unfinished projects, so I decided to stay until all the embroidery work was finished. YES, got er done. I'll post some pics when she's put together.

How do you choose an embroidery class to take?

What projects have you done?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 AM

I've never taken a class..only a brief demo for the 1st machine I bought in CA (and brought back on the plane as carry-on) Oh, and I bought a 2nd machine in CA that wouldn't fit overhead, and the attendant put it in her closet up front. You can't do that anymore! Anyway, I taught myself from the manual, and many embroidery forums on the 'net'. I think I got my first EM about 1993 or so. I love emb and now own 4 machines.
    Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 AM

Like mermaid I have been embroidering for years and years. I only use my 12 needs Happy now, but I started on a Bernina Deco with a 4" hoop. I do lots of baby things. This time of year I also start doing lots of free standing lace for Christmas ornaments. I also did some embroidery for pillows, but I still have to do the sewing part! The advantage of an embroidery-only machine (or at least a second machine) is that I can start an embroidery run and keep working on my sewing machine.Pam
    Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 AM

I do mostly craftsy classes but have gone to 3 project based events and got good deals on supplies. Stitching sister's and Floriani had better deals to me than the anita goodesign event. Floriani gave away the most freebies but they were also the most long winded with their presentations. It was a 2 day and I felt like the last hour on software could have been made optional if you weren't interested. I think I learned the most at the floriani event overall
    Old 10-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Thank you. What on-line classes have you taken. There've been Floriani classes locally, but always on a machine other than Bernina so I thought they wouldn't cross over. I'll look into it.
    Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    Thank you. What on-line classes have you taken. There've been Floriani classes locally, but always on a machine other than Bernina so I thought they wouldn't cross over. I'll look into it.
    You will benefit from any emb class no matter what machine you are using. You are learning the technique not the machines. Brother machines are easy to use even though I also don't own brother emb machines. I even learn from the lecture classes, they go over stabilizers, thread, etc. There are normally lots of projects on display and you can usually take pictures for future ideas. It is also the best place to buy thread, supplies. I've gone to Floriani, Anita Goodesigns and John Deer, learned alot from each.

This weekend its all about me. I'm going to a weekend retreat on the ocean front in Virginia Beach. Even though I don't live that far I'm even sharing a hotel room where the event is being held. I never take a vacation so this is a start. We are doing everything from emb, the scan n cut, felting, sewing, etc. We will have two classes a day, everything is cut and ready for us to just sew and we'll be going home with completed projects. I'm so excited. I love learning new things and this retreat has some of the top teachers there.