Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A machine for my wife >
  • A machine for my wife

• A machine for my wife

Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    How many people really travel with a sewing machine??? Mine sets in a cabinet waiting and ready at a moments notice.
    I use mine for a series of classes so all the time for me, plus i take it to my inlaws all the time. Its my little dinky brother from walmart, and trust me I love sewing on her as much as my expensive machine, it just has less features. I don't think any of my brothers have felt like toys
    Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by KnittingPlatypus
    It seems like a good idea might be to be like MERRY CHRISTMAS I'm taking you to the sewing shop and lets figure out what you like best. And speak with the people at our local shop to see what insights they have on a good machine for her.
    This is really the best way to make sure the machine is a good fit for her & how she wants to use it. As wonderful as it would be to get a Featherweight, it might not be the perfect choice for her first machine. She may not be aware of its specialness and wonder why you got her a "used & old" machine! Good luck & happy sewing to her!
    Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM

You asked about long lasting machines. Well.....I currently own, and have owned, a lot of different machines. Machines I have that are still going strong is an over 50 year old Kenmore model that I learned to sew on, an over 30 year old Pfaff Synchrotronic (that I bought used), an over 20 year old Kenmore Elite and Brother Electroinc, and several 5 year old Janomes that I purchased for a sewing class I taught, not to mention the over 20 and 30 year old sergers I have that are still going strong - Juki, Singer, and Elna.

If you take care of your machine, it should give you years of great service but you do have to be careful about the newer machines. Singer came out with a line that had plastic sleeves over metal parts and the plastic was shattering within 6 months so watch out for the plastic/metal ratio. I use Singer as an example but it's an issue on a lot of machines. The old mechanicals, I feel, are the most reliable, and can be maintained by the owner. Although I do maintain my computerized machines as well and rarely need to take them in for servicing. And I discovered you can wear out the plastic feet, I wore the one out on my Kenmore Elite!

I love and appreciate the older machines as well BUT there is nothing like experiencing the "perks" of the newer machines like needle up/needle down, needle threader, thread cutter, low bobbin warning light, multiple needle positions, decorative stitching, automatic buttonhole, variable speed setting and so on.
    Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Go to Walmart and get a mid-line Brother. They have enough bells and whistles to keep her busy and learning for a while and the price is very reasonable. They are excellent starter machines. I had one that lasted 6 years, and would have lasted longer except it either fell or something was dropped on it during our summer travels.

They're also lightweight enough to take to classes - a good thing for a novice sewer.
    Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 AM
    Power Poster

One other thing to look at when you buy a machine. Can you see the needle without moving your neck. Some machines stick out too far in the front and the needle sets way too far back to see what you are doing. That is true of some vintage and some brand new
    Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM

What a suprise !!! Does she have access to your computer? Better hide it.
    Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Knittingplataypus have you decided.
    Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 AM

So, inquiring minds want to know....what did she choose?
    Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 AM

there has been some good advise here but I would never want someone to pick out my sewing machine it would be nice to go to the local shop that offers classes and get a machine that does more than straight stitch as she may be a novice now but a good sewing machine lasts for years and she will not be a novice for long Berninas are wonderful machines they have good service and classes and verys in prices but also Brothers and Babylocks but do stick with a dealer where there is service and one close to you
    Old 12-16-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by KnittingPlatypus
    I am in the US in Indiana. She is a novice seamstress and this would be her first sewing machine. So neither of us have any experience in what we are looking for. So please pour on the information!

You say a novice seamstress........how does she sew now? If she is a seamstress..she may need more than a FW....allowing her more than just a straight stitch. If I were you I would not invest a ton of $$ on a machine to begin with....let her get her feet wet. Then go for the Cadillac!