Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A machine for my wife >
  • A machine for my wife

• A machine for my wife

Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Looks to me like you are the gem that I married 45 years ago......how long for you. I've been sitting here reading posts all morning, and ran across one of those blue shaded things you go into for what someone likes, for the HV (don't remember the name and other particulars); and told my husband "I'm ready to go shopping for a new sewing machine" and he said "Tell Santa" and I said "I just did"......so we'll see. If I ever learn how to do the picture and forwarding thing, I'll show y'all after Christmas. And oh yes, I have about 6 FWs, 2 301s, several 201s, some 15s, and about a hundred different vintage badged models, a Gammill quilting machine on the big frame, and a HV Designer 1--most of them bought used except the Gammill.
    Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KnittingPlatypus
    Wow thank you all again. It seems like my wife and I will be going shopping. I would also like to say sorry to all of you, I am an only child so I can't play the role of match maker for one of you. I also noticed the other thread about getting a machine for christmas, but felt that I would post a new thread because I was thinking about a specific machine. Also the vintage appeal is there because both my wife and I enjoy the beauty classic pieces bring, her being a Art Historian/Librarian and myself working in the performing arts you can see where that came from.

And tisk to some of you! With a name like KnittingPlatypus do you think the best analogy is "Do you want your wife buying your guns or car"? But I jest, You have all been helpful, I'm not looking for a last min gift, or to buy something that doesn't fit her needs. I knew that new machines had all sorts of fancy stitches but I didn't realize the added abilities that you got from a machine that doesn't do just straight stitch.

*Also, I am really interested in knowing what the lasting machines are I read the one post about how she got a machine from Target that was nothing but problems. I don't want that, I'm sure my local sewing shop will have all sorts of great suggestions, but I always would like opinions from the seamstresses of the world!
    If you love vintage or retro try looking for a Singer 401 or 403 - maybe an Elna SU or an older Pfaff - what ever something all mechanical... that has been worked over and in great running condition. They do many of the things the newer electronic machines do. No they don't thread themselves but no big deal. They are not plastic and were built to last. There are some reviews for the older machines on line.
    Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM

I have both a Featherweight that I piece on, and a Pfaff for doing fancier stitches. The Featherweight would be a good start, but it is probably better to have her test a few machines to see what she likes. It also depends on what she is planning to sew, whether it is quilts or quilts and clothing.
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM

It seems like a good idea might be to be like MERRY CHRISTMAS I'm taking you to the sewing shop and lets figure out what you like best. And speak with the people at our local shop to see what insights they have on a good machine for her.
    That would be FABULOUS! She will love it! You might want to go to the sewing shop and purchase a jelly roll or fat quarters ( they will help you, I'm sure), so she will have a package to open and a bit of fun stuff to get her started. Merry Christmas!
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM

I have about 20 machines. I have everything from a vintage Singer Spartan to a very high end Janome and love them all. I love my featherweight and use it mostly for piecing quilts. I use my Janome for embroidery and decorative sewing. My "go-to" machines are a 1951 Singer model 15-91 and a 1907 Singer model 27 treadle. That being said, my DH wouldn't have a clue as to what I like in a sewing machine. You just have to get one that feels right. He will gladly pay for them, but he wants me to pick them out!
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM

UPDATE: So I work over in South Bend and stopped at the local quilting store on my way to work, Erica's, I have bought yarn there before for a project. And spent some time talking to them, they carry Baby-Lock and Viking. Some feed back on these two brands would be great. They recommended, the price I would be looking at, the 100Q and Emerald machines by Husquevarna, and the Molly and Grace by Baby Lock. They were all in under the 400$ range and a mechanical and computerized version of each. I think I'm going to shelf the idea of the FW for either a Anniversary or Birthday Gift. So My plan is to get a a gift card for over that 400 amount so that she can look at the machines, test them there to get a feel, make a choice and then use the extra money to take a class.

Some to sate your desire to know more about me. I am currently working on making a Scarf for my Brother-in-law in the colors of the Tampa Bay Bucs. After that I might start working on a shaw or infinity scarf for my wife. My wife and I have been married for 2 years 9 months and 9 days at the time of this post, so we have a long way to go in our marriage, but we have enjoyed every moment so far.
    Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 AM

I am in the US in Indiana. She is a novice seamstress and this would be her first sewing machine. So neither of us have any experience in what we are looking for. So please pour on the information!
    If your wife isn't already a dyed in the wool seamstress, you might look on Craigslist and buy a $25-30 dollar machine and let her learn some sewing before spending a bunch of money.
    Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM
    Power Poster

Viking and Babylock are both good brands. Just based on general comments over the last few years, I would say that Babylock probably has more popularity among quilters.

For reviews of specific machines, it's a good idea to go to http://www.patternreview.com . Register there to be able to see all the reviews (it's free and they won't pester you). Click on "sm/serger" and then enter the brand name (e.g., Viking) in the window above that, then click "Go". Look down the list to find reviews of the specific model within that brand. Be aware of review quality too. I give more weight to reviewers who have used the machine for several months, as they have had a chance to try out all the features and run into any bugs. You can also get an idea of reasonable pricing from these reviews. (Sewing machines are a lot like cars in that Suggested Manufacturer's Retail Price doesn't mean a whole lot.)

Also check Amazon for the specific models you are considering; usually lots of good comments in the reviews there.
    Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 AM

I think you have made a good decision in letting your wife in on selecting her sewing machine. I want to share my experience with you, just in case the information is helpful. My husband has got me sewing machines twice for Christmas. Each time he took me to a sewing store and let me try out machines. (It can be a very individual thing. Some might seem loud, might seem difficult to load the bobbin, etc....) Then he purchased the machine and I didn't see it again until Christmas morning. It worked very well for us. I used the first machine 40 years, when I was sewing clothes, and the second machine has been mine for three years...the same number of years I have been a quilter.

You are one jewel of a husband, by the way, and your wife is going to love however you end up getting her a machine.

Dina
    Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM

I would go with the FW. I have many machines. My little FW only does straight stitch but she'll sew on fabrics that the fancy ones yell about. Also picking out a machine that suites your wife would be best left to her.
    There my be features that she wants & hasn't said anything about. You could make a "gift certificate" on your computer that says what you've been looking at, etc. I can tell you that if my husband picked out one of the newer, fancy machines for me I would appreciate the thought but I would not be happy if he actually bought it.
    Good luck