Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A machine for my wife >
  • A machine for my wife

• A machine for my wife

Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM

I've read all the posts including your replies. Bless you!

I bought my dream machine three or so years ago: the Husqvarna Viking 875Q. It's out of your price range but keep it or a future Husqvarna in mind if your dear wife gets seriously involved in quilting.

Meanwhile, another poster mentioned the Elna SU (circa mid 1960s) which sells on ebay for around $200 is made of metal, is mechanical, and was made in Switzerland. My 1965 Elna SU was my precious sewing machine until I bought the 875Q. It's still my backup machine and still runs like a top after 47 years and counting.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:38 PM

I notice you are in Goshen, IN, which is where my cousin also lives. I would suggest you visit Erika's in South Bend and discuss this with her or another dealer in your area. I have 4 Featherweights that I use primarily for straight sewing at workshops and retreats. The novelty of sewing on one plus the convenience of its portability is the draw. They weigh only 12 pounds.

I would not want this to be my only machine. I also have a Janome 6600, which is a pretty expensive machine for a beginner. I highly recommend the Janome brand name and they have several reasonably priced sewing machines that would have a few more basic stitches that would be very useful. My Janome dealer allows me to trade whatever machine I have purchased on a new machine within one year for full price trade in value. I started out with a very basic simple machine when I first began quilting 4 years ago. I have traded up twice.

I don't know what investment you have in mind, but I feel sure you would be able to find a Janome in your price range. The Janome 3160 is called The Quilter's Dream. It would be a great beginner machine. The stitches I use most often are straight stitch, which I enjoy being able to lengthen or shorten as needed, the zig zag for mending, and the blanket stitch for applique. The others are nice, but I seldom use them. Those are three basic ones for me.

If you do decide to buy a Featherweight, be sure to spend some time researching and reading about them. You can Google "Care of Featherweight sewing machines," and get good information. In addition to the machine, you usually have to buy attachments because they're not often included in the original purchase.
    Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM

You are a dear, sweet man and your wife is a lucky lady. Let me first say that I would never trade anything for any of my three featherweights. BUT!!! You must know that the FW has only one basic forward perfect stitch. I love mine for piecing my quilts and basic sewing projects. If your wife is truly a beginner, I'd surely let her in on the choosing of her first machine. A FW may not be what she's thinking of. And really - does any man know what women think? Ahhhh-NOPE! LOL!! For a basic first machine, she'll most likely want at least a reverse stitch as well as zig-zag and a couple of others (including a button-hole capability). If she does want a Singer Featherweight, the average price is about $250 - a fair price for most areas. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely bride and please let us know how this all works out.
    Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM

I have sewn on many brands of machines over the years. Several years ago bought a Viking Designer 1. It will sew anything I put in front of it, even heavy denim with ease. It has a huge selection of utility as well as decorative stitches & does beautiful embroidery designs. It is heavy, does not vibrate the surface it is on like many can. It has yet to need any sort of repair at all. They are really made well.

I do agree with others here, you really need sit down & test drive a few at a time & think about what you would like to be able to sew.

My daughter is learning how to sew & there was no way I wanted her using my baby. So after doing a fair amount of reading on here for a decent budget machine I went got her a Brother CS600i Computerized Sewing Machine. I was really amazed at how well the little thing runs. It is a great starter machine.

I hope you & your wife will enjoy the adventure to find the perfect machine.
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Hi KnittingPlatypus,
    I used to sell new Husqvarnas. The Emerald line of machines are better than the 100Q. The emeralds are mechanical machines and very easy to learn to use and very well made.
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 PM

HouseDragon,
    I love the Sapphire 875!! I bought it when they first came out and its lots of machine and worth every penny.
    I like my vintage machines too. My current favorite is a Pfaff model 60 industrial treadle. I have a Pfaff 1222E set up in the Horn cabinet that she shares with the other machines that fit in this cabinet too. A quilter can't have too many "power tools"!
    Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 AM

Now that you have decided taking your wife along is the best idea, here are a few things to look for as well. Ask about floor models. Alot of machines are being replaced with new models, and you can sometimes get a higher priced machine for much less if you buy a floor model. It should come with the same warranty, and lessons. Additionally the majority of shops will have sewing machines that have been used as trade ins, and honestly some of these are very nice finds as well. I don't think you will get a warranty, but you should be able to get lessons. The same here, you could be getting a higher priced machine for much lower.

One of the main things you do want is for your wife to sit and try it out. Do not let the sales clerk do all the sewing on the machine. Its good for them to show you the features but the person that is going to use it should be testing it. Kinda like buying a car, you test drive them. Same idea here.

And who ever it was, that suggested the card, with the gift certificate inside, now thats an awesome idea!!! Love it. You may also find some great sales after Christmas. Same applies to sewing machines as everything else. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

As for likes, I love my Babylock!!! Quest Plus. But even though its been discontinued, its a bit above your price range. Unless they happen to have a trade in sitting somewhere : ) you might be able to get it for the price you have in mind.
    Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 AM

Janome 7700 - she will love you to death...my husband bought me one two years ago...I love it
    Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 AM

Buying a sewing machine is very personal. You want her input on his purchase. Give her a gift certificate....maybe one you handwrite as an IOU. Take CASH when ready to negotiate pricing once you agree on the model to purchase. More leverage.

I am not interested in a featherweight at all. I want and own computerized machines. I use the stitches, extra feet, etc. and love the computerized machines. They are like having pwer steering in a car.....smooth! You can buy a nice one around $500 or less.

What a great husband you are! Lucky lady!
    Sandy
    Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    the newer cheaper Singers are trash. Stay away from them
    That is because the Singer Co. closed and sold the BRAND name.....it is not the Singer that we grew up with. Talk to a Machine repair person....they hate the new Singers.