Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine quilting books >
  • machine quilting books

• machine quilting books

Old 12-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Default machine quilting books

Can you all share books on beginner machine quilting that helped you learn how to quilt your own quilts. I have so many quilts that need to be quilted, but can't afford to have them done. How did you learn how to machine quilt. Any titles of books that helped you to learn would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Old 12-24-2019, 06:46 PM
    Power Poster

There are many good instructors on the net or YouTube these days that I haven’t picked up a book on machine quilting for ages. Try watching some of Leah Day, Angela Walters, Helen Godden and many more. You will need to make up some practice sandwich squares and get started.
    A few must haves for me are needle down on my machine so I can reposition my hands without the sandwich moving, Machinger gloves to help move the sandwich and the ability to control the machine speed.
    Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 PM
    Power Poster

Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day was a good one to start with. easy patterns, tad of waste trimming but that is the learning part. easy. video's are good but I too like to have some books on hand.
    Old 12-24-2019, 09:27 PM
    Power Poster

I now quilt on a longarm, but I started out on my DSM. The book that helped me do that was Machine Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell. It allowed me to quilt large quilts on a machine with a small throat.
    Old 12-24-2019, 10:20 PM
    Power Poster

I have two 9" throat machines that I quilt on. I can do a large double quilt on either of them. I use gardening glove with the rubber nubs to help move the quilt sandwich around. I quilt them on my glass top dining table, lots of room to spread them out. You can do straight line quilting with a walking foot. I usually do FMQ as I like doing and like the looks.
    I didn't have a book. I did watch a couple of youtube videos.
    Old 12-25-2019, 04:02 AM

Great suggestions already given above. I would add to not forget picking up pencil and paper and doodling (a lot) to practice the muscle memory you need when you go to the sewing or quilting machine. If you are not comfortable in drawing a design, you won't be comfortable quilting it.
    Old 12-25-2019, 04:18 AM

It's taken me years to do a fairly decent meander and loop de loops. I don't think I have the "talent" to do more than those two, but this doming year, I'm going to try to learn more difficult(for me) designs. I have several books on FMQ, but it takes practice, practice, practice and more practice. I say, just get the quilt sandwiches ready and start practicing.
    Old 12-25-2019, 04:31 AM

I have heard that Pat Sloan’s book “Teach Me to Machine Quilt” is very good. I listen to her podcasts but do not have this book.
    Old 12-25-2019, 10:33 AM

I have learned a lot from books by Lori Kennedy and videos by Patsy Thompson. I like the forgiving approach that encourages you to try and not worry so much about perfection. The more you practice the better you will get - but we arent ever going to be perfect so that takes the pressure off!
    Old 12-26-2019, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I now quilt on a longarm, but I started out on my DSM. The book that helped me do that was Machine Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell. It allowed me to quilt large quilts on a machine with a small throat.
    This is a book I refer to again and again. I've made several queen-sized quilts using her methods.

I also love Leah Day's "Walking Foot Quilting." It gave me confidence to quilt in straight lines in various ways and not worry about doing free motion which I find very stressful.