Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine quilting with frame >
  • Machine quilting with frame

• Machine quilting with frame

Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 AM

I lowered the dog I have the free montiin quilting foot on (stippling foot).
    Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

What size needle are you using? I believe that even with a domestic machine you need to go up several sizes over what you are accustomed to using. When you move the machine you are placing additional stress on the thread, which in turn is placing additional stress on the needle. You ***really*** want to stop breaking needles, as this can push your sewing machine out of time (which generally means an expensive trip to the repairperson), and larger needles are thicker and stronger.

Regarding the foot pedal coming unplugged, does it have to move along with the machine? If so, I would consider the following: (1) taping the plug to the machine to add support there, and (2) creating a track for the pedal to move side to side as you quilt. Maybe place a furniture slider under the pedal and construct a simple "fence" of 1x1's to keep the pedal contained while moving side-to-side.

Raising the foot pedal would be another option, but that would probably be a little more complicated.

Edit: Keep in mind that this machine has a low stitches-per-minute output, which is why you need to move the machine more slowly than a machine that is designed for frame work (which would be a machine that does a lot more stitch-per-minute than yours).

Last edited by Prism99; 04-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 PM
    Power Poster

Thank you Prism99, very well said!!! I could not explain as well as you did, but was thinking it!!
    Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM

And speaking of bigger needles, it's not uncommon to even use a size 16. Less apt to bend if you are going too fast. Good luck!
    Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Well on my end we got my singer to work with my grace frame. We are using a 18 needles ( haven't broke one ) we are also using machine embroidery thread here is a sneak peek at what we are doing. It has gotten better through out the day. Key is press pedal to the floor and go slow.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 PM
    Power Poster

Looks good!!!!! Glad it is working out!!!!!!
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Now we are having issues. We can't get rafters to leave us alone he wants to take a nap on the quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 AM

I use a standard size sewing machine (Bernina 400 QE) on my frame which was manufactured by Grace for Bernina. I've had the same problems! Needle breaking - try a needle with a larger hole - SLOW down, going too fast can bend and break the needle - try a different thread. Thread breaking - use poly thread, use a needle with larger hole, adjust tensions. Pressser foot coming unplugged - try wrapping the cord around one of the arms of the "carriage" (where you machine rides) so there isn't as much pull on the cord. If possible, operate your machine using the "on/off" button instead of the presser foot. Hope this helps - good luck.
    Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 AM
    Power Poster

So cute, silly kitty!!!
    Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 AM

If you find the cord from foot pedal to machine isn't quite long enough, you can get an extension for it - I bought one for my Janome at The Source (used to be Radio Shack) - it has the same end as the foot pedal so it plugs into the machine, and the other end plugs into the foot pedal, just like an extension cord. We did have to (slightly) sand off the rubber part of the tip where it is meant to slide into the machine, as the rubber coating was just a smidge too thick to allow the metal tip to contact inside. A light sanding took care of that and now I have 6 extra feet of length to work with.
    Any electronics type supply place should be able to help you, just take your foot pedal with you,
    Good luck!