Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine quilting not on long arms. >
  • machine quilting not on long arms.

• machine quilting not on long arms.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Does any one have any secrets to machine quilting on a Janome ? Small quilts. Thanks
    Old 01-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by tisha
    Does any one have any secrets to machine quilting on a Janome ? Small quilts. Thanks
    I can't wait to see the answers.
    Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM

I've done several quilts on my Janome 6600. I have used the quilt rolls where a pattern is printed on rolls and you can stick it onto your fabric. And I have also traced patterns on Golden Threads paper and pinned it on. (It takes longer but you get good results). If you are using light fabric you can mark it with an air erase pen.

I start in the middle of the quilt and pin all around the center and work out from there - always working from the center to the outside. (I roll up both sides so I have room). I really don't pin the whole quilt at once as you always have to move the pins anyway. So I pin each section as I go. Make a sandwich of fabric and batting to practice first to get a speed that's good for you and once you get into a groove you should be all set.
    Old 01-23-2010, 05:34 PM

I have done quilting on my janome 6600 also.

The usual suspects if it is not turing out right..not threaded right, tension,going faster or slower than the machine..i had some tension issues the other day, and i took it all out, and stitched in the ditch. i just wasn't in the mood to fool with her..

what Janome do you have? there are message boards for janomes..i belong to the 6500/6600 yahoo board.
    Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM

I have a Janome 6600P. I've had tension issues too, but try to resolve it by quilting the practice sandwich and turning my tension knob.
    Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 PM

I quilt (up to queen size so far) on a 6600P and don't have any problems. As already said lots of practice, good thread, right needle and get the tension right. Even machines of the same model have their own little "quirks" you get to know.
    Depending on which Janome you have, you can get a bobbin holder (with a blue dot) specifically for FMQ, and there is also a set of feet for FMQ.
    The Janome 6500/6600 mentioned by Kim above is very good.
    Old 01-24-2010, 04:31 AM

I also quilt on a Janome 6600. Like CarolynP I have use the Golden Threads paper with success. I also like meandering. The blue dot bobbin holder is good and also a good FM foot as Katrine said. and remind yourself to relax it's so easy to be tense and not even realize it.
    Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by tisha
    I have used my 6500 to do some of my quilts, queen and larger I usually send to the quilter. But have a queen that I'm working on now that I 'might' attempt to do. :lol:

PRACTICE is most important on ANY machine, esp if you are doing meandering/stippling. I have some smallish quilt sandwiches that are just for practice. I will pull them out before I start on a quilt. It helps me 'get in the mood'.

tisha ~ What machine do you have? Are you having problems?
    Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 AM

I have the 8077...NOTHING like some of the bigger machines, but I love her! I do have some problems with FMQ, but I suspect they're "Operator Error" types of problems. (still learning) With mine, the thread tends to pull to the underside and bunch up... And it breaks on occasion, especially if I'm trying to use a metallic..
    Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

Just starting to learn how to machine quilt, so thanks for this thread! I will be reading what all have to say.