Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine recommendations >
  • Machine recommendations

• Machine recommendations

Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Unless she can thoroughly check out & sew on a craigs list machine she might end up having to pay more to have it professionally cleaned & adjusted than an inexpensive new machine costs, especially if it has been sitting a long time.
    Old 12-19-2013, 04:37 PM

I purchased a Brother from Walmart in 2010 and it is a very nice machine. It was purchased after my Pfaff of 35 years broke and needed something in a hurry as I was in the middle of a quilt. Didn't have the extra money to purchase a really nice machine and it fit the bill. My granddaughter now has my Walmart machine and loves it. It works like a charm and isn't heavy so she can carry it around.
    Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 PM

I believe Janome still makes Kenmores & this is similar to what I have for $99. I take mine to classes when I don't want to lug my 6600P.

http://www.sears.com/singer-basic-21...1&blockType=G1
    Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 PM

I love my walmart brother. Mine was built just fine, have had it 3 years no problems. why people hate them I still don't know, mine stitches beautifully, have used it for quilts, a dress, a bag, never misses a beat. I still use mine quite regular even though I have my TOL same brand
    Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 AM

I have purchased two Brothers from Costco for my daughters. If you by from Costco you are also purchasing their wonderful return "no questions asked" policy. I bought an air bed from there this fall, used it once, went to use it again and it leaked. I took it back two months later, without a receipt, and they credited my card, no problem.
    Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 AM

I have two Berninas and love them both but they are so heavy to take along to our quilting group. I JUST YESTERDAY got a Janome Gem and think I am going to be really happy with it. Joann's had them on sale for $199 a couple of weeks ago...with free shipping.
    Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 AM

I was coerced into quilting just over a year ago by a wonderful friend of mine - she took me to a fabric shop (that counts as coercion, doesn't it) - and I got a Singer Confidence Quilter at Joanne's. It does everything I, as a beginning quilter, want it to do. I can sew straight stitches, fun stitches, and I can FMQ on it. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on it because I wasn't sure I would stick with it. Turns out, I'm hooked! We just bought a house, so when things sort of stabilize for us I plan in upgrading to a more high-end machine.

Does your friend sew already? If she's just trying it out, I'd definitely steer her toward Walmart of Joanne's. Just have her make sure the machine will do what she wants it to do. For instance, on one of the low-end Berninas (a Bernette?) you couldn't drop the feed dogs, which, depending in your FMQ style, makes FMQ difficult.

Whatever she chooses, wish her happy sewing!
    Old 12-20-2013, 07:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    it really depend on what she can afford. If a Walmart machine is in her price range, at least it is sewing machine. She can always bring it back if she doesn't like it.
    I really agree!
    Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM

I bought my brothers SE from Walmart; and it is holding up pretty well; its been a year. They have 1 yr warranty; and she can purchase a addtl warranty if needed. Walmart does not make the machine; they only sell various brands of machines just as Joanns, Target, or any authorized dealer. She should consider what she will be doing with the machine; sewing, quilting, embroidering, etc. this is all important to consider when shopping for a machine; hope this helps
    Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Thank you so much for all the replies! I had told her not to buy a machine at WM because my mother in law (about 20 yrs ago) bought me a Brother from there and that machine never did work right. She could get it to sew a little and that was about it. So for the longest time I thought Brother machines were all junk. I learned differently when I started quilting on a regular basis ( a friend had a higher end Brother). I sew on a Singer that I bought at Sears and it does the job for me. I will tell her what I have learned here about WM machines. I think that I personally would still rather have a Janome Gem, and if I can find her one, I'll direct her there. But now feel that if she decides to get one at WM she wont have wasted her money.
    Thanks again, Merry Christmas!!