Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine repair...how far do you drive? >
  • Machine repair...how far do you drive?

• Machine repair...how far do you drive?

Old 06-28-2024, 10:57 AM

Oreo1912....Yes, I talked to Shields, they were the first ones I called. They can do a badic cleaning, but they won't be able to order parts if needed becuase they aren't affliated with Janone. So if one needed parts (I think the 6650 will) it would have to go to Shields and then to another Janome repair shop, and that is paying two bills and not just one. Guess I'm going to have to make that drive to either Cedar Rapids, or Marshalltown.
    Old 06-28-2024, 04:31 PM

45 minutes THIS way or 45 min THAT way. My THAT way guy retired and sold his business. Haven't worked with the new owners. The guy THIS way is a crochety old man n, but he knows his stuff on the DSM. They say he can work on the longarm but...? Haven't taken it for service yet.

I also have the business card of someone who says he makes house calls. Which might be the person I call when needed for the longarm. I mean, if I don't know someone, I might as well try from the comfort of my house.
    Old 06-28-2024, 04:53 PM

I'm very fortunate. I have 2 repair shops just a few miles away. In our traffic, it takes me 20 - 30 minutes to get to each one. There's a Bernina shop fairly close in the other direction. It's a bit farther so I only take my new-ish 475 there. Which reminds me. Its time to do that.
    Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

The shop where I bought my Janome machines (I have the 6650 as well and the 8400) provides servicing by a Janome trained technician so I take my machines there. It's about 3 hours one way so I always call the shop and we make arrangements for a day when the technician will be available so I can drop off early in the morning and pick up at the end of the same day. I combine it with a day of shopping. Sometimes I'll drive in and stay overnight so I don't need to leave so early in the morning. I try to do this yearly but somehow I only seem to remember in January - New Year's resolutions and all - so I'm making the trek on snowy, icy roads. I need to revise my schedule!