Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine repair...how far do you drive? >
  • Machine repair...how far do you drive?

• Machine repair...how far do you drive?

Old 06-28-2024, 02:44 AM

Default Machine repair...how far do you drive?

I have two Janome Machines, one is a MC 6650 and the other is a 1600P and both are acting crazy. MC6650 wants to hit the needle plate on the normal setting, but will work if I move the needle over a smigdgen to setting #2. The 1600P is skipping stitched, so I can't use it for the actual quilting. Have changed needles, thread, dusted out and oiled them both. My usual repair man about 15 miles away has passed on from kidney failure and no one took over his shop. The closest machine repair is 90 minutes away. Not terrible but on a highway that is so busy that it frightens me to have to drive it. Guess I'll have to "pull my big girl pants up" and drive it next week. How far do you drive to have your machine fixed?
    Old 06-28-2024, 03:27 AM

2 hours one way and I have to cross a toll bridge. And it involves a second trip for pickup. I am diligent with cleaning and oiling and take the machine in for service every two years. He tells me I am doing an excellent job. A friend has the same machine so we go together, have lunch and make a day of it because it pretty much shoots the whole day.
    Old 06-28-2024, 03:28 AM

I'm in the same boat, pulling the big girl panties way up and planning a trip. I'm waiting until after the July 4th holiday, too many people on the road then. I'll go after the holiday when people are back to work and company is gone.
    Old 06-28-2024, 04:13 AM
    Administrator

about an hour and a half each way. then a return trip to pick it up.

and, since i don't go there very often, i usually get lost along the way, [laughing at myself]
    Old 06-28-2024, 04:19 AM
    Power Poster

The town I live in has three dealer/repair shops within ten miles of me. Another two about 30 miles away. Each one services/sells different brands. We moved to be close to our kids and grands. I told them they chose to settle down in a town that was perfect for me. LOL
    Old 06-28-2024, 04:26 AM

For my Viking machine I travel 65 miles one way to Ames from Carroll. For my Babylock its just a few more miles to Ankeny. I know there's a guy here in town that works on machines but I haven't tried him as yet. My neighbor who has Janome machines has taken hers to him but I think mainly just for cleaning. Jefferson's fabric shop is a Janome store and they may have a repair guy but I'm not sure. Can call to see before you travel if you so choose.

My Viking repair guy died a couple years ago at a young age and I haven't taken my machines to be cleaned since and I haven't bothered to call to see if they have found a replacement for him. He was so good too.
    Old 06-28-2024, 04:55 AM

I have found a Bernina shop in town. Love, love, love my new tech. He drove out to my house to set up my new long arm! I used to have to take them to McAllen, which is almost 3 hours away. Since DH travels there for business, I would send it with him.
    Old 06-28-2024, 07:09 AM
    Power Poster

My Bernina shop is just a few minutes away and next door to them is a man who fixes every other type of machine. It's really handy.
    Old 06-28-2024, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    I have two Janome Machines, one is a MC 6650 and the other is a 1600P and both are acting crazy. MC6650 wants to hit the needle plate on the normal setting, but will work if I move the needle over a smigdgen to setting #2. The 1600P is skipping stitched, so I can't use it for the actual quilting. Have changed needles, thread, dusted out and oiled them both. My usual repair man about 15 miles away has passed on from kidney failure and no one took over his shop. The closest machine repair is 90 minutes away. Not terrible but on a highway that is so busy that it frightens me to have to drive it. Guess I'll have to "pull my big girl pants up" and drive it next week. How far do you drive to have your machine fixed?

linda have you tried Shields Sewing in the Ole Town Mall in Davenport? They replaced my motor and shaft on my Brother 1600P in a few days and for a reasonable fee.
    Old 06-28-2024, 07:53 AM

I drive about 2 miles to drop it off at a quilt shop where it sits until someone comes up from about 150 miles away. That is usually about once per week. Then it gets that ride and when it is done, it gets that ride back when someone comes up here. Then I go pick it up and hope it is fixed. So, I really do need to have a back-up or two. Currently, three Bernina's and One Viking. The Viking can be repaired or serviced here with a terrific repair person. I have been tempted to check if he could also do the Bernina's but years ago, they did sell Bernina's too but gave up that dealership due to the educational requirements. They kept the Pfaff and Viking ones at the time. They said they do have to send one tech to tech school every time a new high end machine came out and it was too expensive and difficult to have a tech gone from the shop that often being trained.