Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine service >
  • machine service

• machine service

Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 PM

I service my pre 1956 machines myself, but took the 1973 Elna in yearly when I had a good repairman and was using her heavily for apparel and home dec. She doesn't get much use these days and there is no good repairman available, so it's been a while now. I will call the old repairman one of these days and see if I can bring her to his house. That machine isn't going to be touched by anyone who doesn't know what he/she is doing.
    Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 PM
    Power Poster

I had a machine tech order me the tools needed to open my housing. Most will under the table for a generous tip. That was less then the cost of one cleaning. I can deep clean the machine and oil it myself. Any sewing problem I have that needs a repair I take it to the local shop.
    Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 AM

When I sewed on just one machine...my Janome 6600, I took it in faithfully each year for service but now that I have 3 and use all 3, I take them in about every 18 months.
    Old 05-28-2019, 02:53 AM

I now have multiple machines so each individually does not get the amount of wear/use as in years past. From time to time usually just before a quilt retreat I will clean and oil my feather weight. (Many good tutorials on Youtube.) My other machines, get a once a year or once in 18 months check up but when I get the feeling they are sluggish, I do a quick check for lint and "fuzzies". It is easy to clean out the dust bunnies myself and cheaper than a trip to the shop.
    Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 AM

My computerized Viking doesn't go in regularly at all. In fact, it's been several years since it's last service. I have been giving it quite the workout lately and plan to take it in just before going on vacation for 2 weeks. Doesn't cramp my efforts that way.
    Old 05-28-2019, 04:30 AM

I have never taken any of my machines in for cleaning or "check up". I did take a used Janome in, once, to see if it was OK and have it cleaned, since I was not the original owner. Before taking it in, I rolled a piece of masking tape and put it on the edge of the cover and locked the lid down. I had heard that this shop may not be actually cleaning machines.....sure enough, I was charged, but the cover was never removed. No more visits to that shop. A tip from my guild. If you take your machines into a shop that does a lot of servicing, mark the inside of your case with a permanent marker, and put colored tape or a tag on your cords and foot control. I do clean and oil my machines myself. I would take my machine in if I heard unusual noises or it was malfunctioning. Other than that, no costly trips for cleaning.....save the money, buy more fabric. Ha!
    Old 05-28-2019, 04:33 AM

All mine are vintage, they go in for service when I get them. Then I clean each when they get sluggish or make a different sound. One advantage of vintage is I can clean them myself.
    Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 AM

As I live a distance away from my dealer I try to get my machine in at least every 2 yrs. I don't use it everyday or sometimes only a couple times a month.....depends on what's on my plate. Now my sister hadn't had her machine in for years and she didn't use it much either. When she decided to hem a tablecloth her stitches kept skipping. I asked her if she had cleaned her bobbin area. She looked at me like a "deer in a headlight". Clean the bobbin area? She didn't know you were supposed to. So I showed her how and she had no more skipped stitches. She decided maybe she should take it in for a good cleaning after all......................Duh moment.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-28-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM

I have 2 Berninas and they go in every year for service. Neither has ever had a problem.
    Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM

When my Bernina Artista 180 was my only machine, I had it serviced faithfully every year. I feel that when you spend a lot on a machine, the cost of having them serviced regularly is a small price to pay. Now that I have a lot of machines, I don't take them in as often. The vintage ones only go in when there's a problem I can't fix. The Bernina and Juki I tend to stretch to every 18 months. I do have a schedule to clean and oil my vintage machines though