Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine service >
  • machine service

• machine service

Old 05-27-2019, 12:36 PM

Default machine service

Be honest, please: how often do you have your machines serviced (cleaning, oil, general checkup). I go about once every 2 years. I just spoke to someone who Has never taken her bernina 430 in for service in the 8 years she has owned it 😳
    Old 05-27-2019, 12:49 PM

I tell customers that if they sew every day, they need a service at least once a year. But never go more than 4 years without a service.

When we do a service, we remove the outer covers and blow the lint out of the gears. If we don't, the lint can build up and damage the gear set on that Bernina 430.

Also on older machines, the old oil can turn into a tar if not oiled deeply on a regular basis, then your machine could freeze-up.
    Attached Thumbnails dirty-driver-2-adjusted.jpg  
    Old 05-27-2019, 12:51 PM
    Power Poster

I liked to do it every year but two are fine. I moved 3 years ago and cannot find a business anywhere near me so far. time is a ticking!
    Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

​I take it in when I have problems and when the service machine icon comes up on my Bernina.
    Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 PM
    Power Poster

During the first 5 years or so I had a service policy, so I took it in pretty often to be cleaned. Since then I haven't taken it in. It's hard to find a trustworthy shop around here. I do clean and oil it regularly.
    Old 05-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Our LQS recommends once a year for service. They will trouble-shoot a quick repair or issue for us. The maintenance classes are offered every two months. I also have them blow out machine at the end of class time. Of course, the one time I had machine issues in class, the owner found a dust bunny in the feed dogs. Yikes!
    Old 05-27-2019, 02:43 PM

I usually took my machine any time it misbehaved. But then I joined the QB and learned how to clean and oil my machines. Since I use my EMB/Sew machine (Viking) the most it has gone in to be serviced twice in 4 years. The first time because the manual told me is should go in and the second it kept making bird nests underneath. Each time the repair guy told me that he is amazed how clean my machine is and if it weren't for the stitch counter he wouldn't believe how much I use it. And after his service it quit making the nests, so he believes there must have been an extremely small piece of thread stuck somewhere. Just thrilled nothing bad was going on. My Janome had gone in once in about 8 years. The repairman asked if I used it very much - all the time - said it was so clean he wasn't sure. I do not mess with the tension at all, so thought it should be checked.
    My Singers have not been taken in since I got them. My Mother's machine was serviced before she gave it to me and I clean and oil it after each time I use it and put the lubricant in fairly regularly. The FW I have done the servicing but I plan to take it in before the next trip to AZ. I have had it about 6 years but it is my traveling machine so isn't used very much compared to the other 3. My little Europro has never gone in either - it works fine, I clean and oil it when it gets noisy. Since it was less than $100.00 I believe any repairman would just laugh.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-27-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Old 05-27-2019, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

My Bernina dealer says every 2 years so that's what I do. But I have gone longer with my 150. I won't with my new one though.
    Old 05-27-2019, 03:51 PM
    Power Poster

My two straight stitch only machines have not gone in for service. I clean and oil them regularly. They are 11 and 10 years old. I use them at least 6 days a week 3-5 hours a day.
    Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 PM

My one and only computerized and main machine I have serviced yearly. I have a trustworthy repair man and he does a great job and since I travel 500+ miles to go to him, he does it in one day. Most of my machines I can service myself, all vintage.

Last edited by pocoellie; 05-27-2019 at 04:59 PM.