Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine service >
  • machine service

• machine service

Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 AM

My chap is qualified, he has just won a contract with the Royal Navy to service their sewing machines (wonder what they sew)He also services all the sewing machines for the local Prison service. They apparently make the jeans that the inmates wear, so I am quite happy to have him do my machines.
    Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 AM

I'm fortunate to have several authorized service places (LQS, Sew & Vac dealer, etc.) and the cost for basic maintenance is usually $65, which hasn't changed in the last 2-3 years. As long as I can afford to, I'll bring my BabyLock in once a year; she's over twenty years old so I must be doing something right. _:-)_ I treat my machines the way I treat my car; i.e., regular maintenance will pay off in the long run.
    Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 AM

I read about that $273 service and parts bill and no matter what anyone says, that was too much. And they should absolutely given you an estimate. When one has car repairs, there is always an estimate. I used to do in home lactation consulting and always gave my fees before the visit. To have a bill that is 2-4 times the usual ($70-100) with no mention was wrong. And while there is no shame in spending whatever one wants on this art form/hobby/therapy, there is also no shame in having a budget. Do we really want sewing and quilting to become a hobby for the elite only? Honestly, some folks on this board might think that quilting isn't worth doing without a $4000 machine, $10/yard fabric, only the best thread, etc. But one can make lovely quilts on a $100 machine or <gasp> by hand with Walmart fabric and thread. BOTH are okay. Neither quilt artist should feel guilty or defensive. Just because one artist says "I can't afford that" doesn't mean she's say others shouldn't.