Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine suggestions please >
  • Machine suggestions please

• Machine suggestions please

Old 07-25-2024, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by greaterexp
    I'm rather fond of vintage machines. There are no computers to fail, so no expensive fixes or trips to the landfill. Maintenance is usually only a few drops of oil. Though I prefer treadles and hand crank machines, even the vintage electrics will have enough bells and whistles to do what you need, and the electrical components can be easily fixed. They are also very inexpensive.
    I like my vintage machines too. Problem is sometimes they take a while to find and then might need some work.
    Old 07-25-2024, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    If you want a machine that will last for years with little maintenance I suggest a Juki TL 2010. It's straight stitch only with all the features you would want. Speed control, auto thread cutter, knee lift, pressure control and large harp space. On sale at times for $800. The 2000 TL is in your price range but has no speed control but an excellent machine. If you need a zig zag or decorative stitches buy an inexpensive Brother later on to go with the Juki. They are good machines to have for back up too.
    Juki Junkies is an excellent Juki dealer. They test every machine before shipping and shipping is free. The best customer service of any dealer I have delt with. If there is a low price on any Juki they will have it.
    I bought a Juki 2010 about 3 weeks ago and I'm sending it back. I was so disappointed in the lighting. I bought an LED strip and that helped. I was also disappointed in the feet included. Not many at all. Frankly, I just couldn't "bond" with it.
    Old 07-25-2024, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry about your Juki disappointing you. My Juki 2010 has a bright LED light and it is bright for me. Could be the machine needed a new bulb? That was the case of mid range Brother machine I bought. The light was dim. Dealer put a new LED bulb (same type ) in and it made all the difference and it was a new machine right out of the box.

Julienm1:
    Here is a video that is excellent for machine choices from $200 to $1000. Doesn't have to be that brand but gives you knowledge of what to look for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShXiPv5ZtOk&t=1567s
    Old 07-25-2024, 12:23 PM

Another vote for the Brother 1500. It's been my daily driver for 10 years, I paid $400 for it ever so slightly used. It's a complete workhorse. Nothing fancy, mechanical, no computer boards that will die in 4 years. I love it so much, I bought a backup machine. Got rid of all my other machines, kept my eyes open on FB MP and bought a second one a couple of years ago, paid $150 for it. 9" harp, straight stitch, 1500 spm, loves every kind of thread, needle down, auto cutter, threader, knee lift, extension table.
    Old 07-25-2024, 12:59 PM
    Power Poster

I heard or read somewhere that the Brother straight stitch is no longer being made. ? . Babylock Accomplish is the same with few extra features. I know BabyLock, Brother, and Juke TL have interchangeable feet and bobbin cases.
    Old 07-25-2024, 01:03 PM
    Power Poster

I heard or read somewhere that the Brother straight stitch is no longer being made. ? . Babylock Accomplish is the same with few extra features. I know BabyLock, Brother, and Juke TL have interchangeable feet and bobbin cases.
    There still is one - it's called the PQ1600S. But the 1500 is still available. I don't think the differences are significant.
    Old 07-25-2024, 02:19 PM
    mkc

I know BabyLock, Brother, and Juke TL have interchangeable feet and bobbin cases.
    Most of the straight-stitch machines like this take industrial feet. Janome's 1600P and HD9 are included in that category. The HD9 does come in V1 and V2, though, and V2 takes a proprietary bobbin.
    Old 07-25-2024, 03:15 PM

I too like vintage machines. They are built to last and are very easy to maintain. You can get a Singer model 66 or 201 which are both great machines for less than $100 and they will still be sewing many many years from now.
    Old 07-25-2024, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonnieJP
    I too like vintage machines. They are built to last and are very easy to maintain. You can get a Singer model 66 or 201 which are both great machines for less than $100 and they will still be sewing many many years from now.
    agree. They are great. But if one wants to sew
    now there is no guarantee a viable vintage machine will be available and then be I. Working order and then the person has to know a reliable person to work on it or do it themselves. I have come across my vintage machines over a long period of time and they did require some rehabbing. Prices also vary depending on availability and area
    Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

Watch Marketplace for Vintage Sears Kenmores. I have obtained 3 different ones for free!! They are awesome machines.
    First one, I inherited from a sister in law, 2- was for free on Marketplace and the 3rd I found on the curb during city clean up day while walking the dog. They are usually reasonably priced and sew like crazy.