Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which Machine to take to Class? >
  • Which Machine to take to Class?

• Which Machine to take to Class?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aria
    I would take what you will be using at home. There are rolling cases that make it a lot easier to lug our machines around, now. And, some retreats have men there to help carry our heavy items for us!!
    Get a rolling cart as suggested above. I have a Janome DC 2007 LE and it is my only machine. The rolling cart really helps move it along.
    Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM

Unless there are specific features of one machine or the other that makes it better for that particular class, I would take the one I feel most comfortable taking along.

For me that is my featherweight. It is my favorite machine, sews beautifully, is easy to transport and not likely to be "bothered" by being moved around.
    Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=mom-6;6268477]Unless there are specific features of one machine or the other that makes it better for that particular class, I would take the one I feel most comfortable taking along.

Agree with this. What features do you need for the class project. Take the one you want to use and is easy to transport.

I have 4 machines. The lightweight small machine that's easy to move and does most stitches. The straight stitch, semi-industrial with a great harp space, very dependable. The standard size zig-zag with lots of bells and whistles. The Bernina 830 with embroidery attachments, it does everything but it's heavy and large.

When I'm teaching at the Bernina store, I take a Bernina or sew on one of their's. Traveling and piecing, I take the lightweight machine. If I'm quilting I take the "great harp space". Want to learn how to use a particular machine, I take that machine.

And I love wheels. I have a case for each machine and don't carry them, I wheel them. I'll even park to use ramps so I don't have to carry them.