Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which Machine to take to Class? >
  • Which Machine to take to Class?

• Which Machine to take to Class?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Which Machine to take to Class?

I will be taking my first ever quilting class in September and am really excited.

I also have decided to purchase (after much thinking and asking on this board) the Janome DC 1050 . It will be quite the upgrade from my trusty, portable mechanical Kenmore. The Janome weighs a little less than my Kenmore, but it's not a huge difference.

I will primarily be using the Janome at home. Should I use it at class, too, or is the risk of carrying it back and forth too great?

For those of you with multiple machines, who attend classes, what machine do YOU take and why?
    Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM

I would take what you will be using at home. There are rolling cases that make it a lot easier to lug our machines around, now. And, some retreats have men there to help carry our heavy items for us!!
    Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 PM
    Power Poster

I would probably take my old Pfaff 1471 -because it's the one I know how to use the best and it weighs the least.
    Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM
    Power Poster

I usually carry an older machine to classes, unless they involve FMQ, and then I carry my Bernina so I can use the BSR. There's some risk in carrying a machine around, and in my case the older machines weigh less.
    Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM

I have purchased a cheap light weight viking to take to classes due to the weight of the bernina and janome. I also don't think it is a good idea to keep unplugging and wrapping leads etc. I remember the olden days with computers and because we had to pack up each evening after school the wires and plug areas caused a great deal of breakdowns .also the constant movement caused many problems with the computers.
    For now take the janome as this will be a learning curve and other owners will give hints etc. make sure it will not roll or move when travelling
    Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 AM

My husband makes fun of me when I take my Bernina to classes, I set it in the back seat of my van in its travel case and use the seat belt.
    Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 AM
    Power Poster

I take my simple old straight stitch singer to most classes/workshops- as long as i'm just piecing, do not need any special stitches, applications. nothing to go wrong, no costly repairs, easy to take worry free. it's not any heavier than my computerized machines, I don't have to worry about it being knocked around, it sews beautifully. I also don't have to take a bunch of extra stuff with it. if I need more options from a machine for a class/workshop I take my 3/4 Janome- it has the extras needed, is smaller/lighter than my big, extreme Viking- is easy to carry and does the job- but I 99% of the time take the singer- it's my travel-work horse.
    Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 AM

When I go to class I take my smaller Janome. I took 6600 once and what a pain. It is extremely heavy--to me :-) and the risk is too great that something might get jossled out of place--it is a computer too or a car accident and I would lose my machine. I worried the whole time so much so that the next class I had my little travel buddy. :-)
    Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 AM
    Power Poster

i have taken my Juki in a rolling case with protective padding around it. i didn't like the feeling of taking it out of my house. so now, i just take my inexpensive Brother.
    Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 AM

i bought the little janome that weighs about 12 pounds to take to classes. i also do not like to take my
    big machines out.