Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which machine would you get? >
  • Which machine would you get?

• Which machine would you get?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Which machine would you get?

I have been looking for a month now for a new machine.. I am beginner to quilting. I will be using this machine for quilting, basic sewing.. Appliqué and everything along those lines. I know they are not long arm jus needing a reg machine. I am leaning on you that know a little more about machines the I I'd. Trying to decide between 2...which one of these would you choose if you had the option?

http://www.hsn.com/products/brother-...achine/5694090

or
    http://www.hsn.com/products/janome-d...te-bag/6910593
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM

I have several Brother sewing machines and I like them, I have never used a Janome but I have heard good things about them. I do have one suggestion, before you spend $500 for a new machine, perhaps you would consider a used machine instead. In case you don't like sewing, if you purchase a used machine you won't be out much. Rummage sales often have older sewing machines for under $50.00. Sometimes for far less. You could learn on a mechanical machine and then if you truly enjoy sewing, then you can splurge on a computerized machine. If after a while and you are still enjoying the sewing process, I might suggest a sewing-embroidery machine. Machine embroidery is fun. Just my two cents worth.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM

The Brother has 13 feet, push button thread cutter, needle up/down, knee lift and 256 stitches plus you can make your own stitches with the custom stitch program that is built in. You get more bang for your buck with Brother. Both machines are good. Both companies are great. HSN will take either one back if you hate it. To me it is a no brainer to buy the Brother but it is your money.

The Janome has 7 feet and an on the side thread cutter, 50 stitches.
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

quilter2010... I am not a beginner to sewing, just to quilting! I own 2 machines now but I am needing to upgrade!
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Both machines are from good companies but I like Brothers. This one seems like a lot for the money.
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Don't know anything about the Brother but I do have a Janome3050DC and I love it!
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM

I have heard sooooo much good talk about janome and how they last, that is the only reason I considered it.... But the brother machine has a lot more... But I do not know much about brothers.. I just want something that will last and be a great machine!
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM

I love my brothers.They are awesome so I know my choice would be the brother You can view it on amazon it gets awesome ratings, you ca adjust presser foot pressure. The needle threaders on the brother to me are the best out there than other brands. It has a thread cutter, all the feet you need, I also think it is more bang for the buck. The frame is metal. It is their one of their only high end machines offered online at a reasonable price. Best of all all brothers are user friendly. I have haad 4 brothers all good machines, not one has ever given me a lick of trouble. I am a diehard brother lover. I'm sure that janome is just as good as many love their janomes I just haven't been converted yet
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM

Brother is a great machine. Never had a Janome so can't vouch for it, but I do hear good things about them. To me the brother you are looking at has more features. You definitely want needle up and down and the extra stitches are a bonus. I have found brother may be somewhat cheaper than other brands but still can hold their own. You are looking at the same price, but the brother has more features.
    Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
    Power Poster

It looks like Amazon has the Brother for $100 less (although I don't know how shipping compares if you don't have Amazon Prime):
    http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420P...dp/B000XE3FGO/