Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machines-New or Old? >
  • Machines-New or Old?

• Machines-New or Old?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:39 PM

I would say get the older (metal) study machine vs a new plastic one.
    Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    If I had a $150 to spend, I'd buy a vintage machine. Typically all metal and will last another 150 years if maintained well. There are plenty of machines that have either cams or built in stitches that you can get in the cabinet for $20-$150 via Craigs List.
    I agree with Candace. What I like about the vintage machines it that you can maintain them yourself. Lurk on Craigslist and you will likely find the machine you want at the right price.
    Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Does it have to be a Kenmore? I have my mother's old White from the 60s, complete will all cams. it still works great. Keep your eyes open, and the machine with your name on it will come your way. Don't forget to check Craigslist and ShopGoodwill.com as alternatives to ebay.
    Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Food for thought. I purchased the Brother SQ-9050 at WalMart and sewed on it for a month. It was a good little machine but struggled sewing over semi thick seams. I sew a lot but also teach school full time and I think it struggled to keep up. I finally purchased a small Brother from my local dealer which ran about $600.

I sewed on an old Kenmore for 35 years. Once I got my computerized Brother Laura Ashley 2000 machine, I realized all I had been missing. Yes, the old machine are built better being all metal and such, but boy, those new computerized machines are wonderful.
    Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 PM

I thought of something as I was sewing away on my new machine.... my husband complains about the noise much less when I'm sewing on my vintage machines, and I have to admit there is something about the sound that my new machine makes that is a bit annoying. I makes a chunk chunk sound, where my old singer makes a clickitty sound, and my old belt driven kenmore whirred.
    Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM

Old machines every time. I fell for the fancy stitches and all, now the machine is in the shop with major issues (I didn't even use it as my main machine). I paid big money for that machine and now more big money to get it fixed. I am sticking with the OLD machines! Thank goodness I have plenty of them!
    All the old machines I have, have never been in the shop for repairs! I just love them!