Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Magazines >
  • Magazines

• Magazines

Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM

I don't buy quilting magazines off the counter anymore. I used to see a magazine I really liked, get a subscription and then I they didn't have another quilt that I would make...... argh!! I get more ideas off QB than I do magazines and usually I can figure out how to make the quilt.

I feel the same way about quilting books. I have a ton and many of them I don't use...... never used. I guess I should sell some here.
    Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter
    There are so many free patterns on the internet, I never buy magazines anymore. There are tutorials, YouTubes, blogs, newsletters. I save them on my computer, so I can print them out any time I want. Or there are sites like ePatternCentral.com and Annies where you can see, purchase and download patterns on your computer. I found that I probably wanted one or two patterns out of a magazine, so I was buying something and saving 4 or 5 pages and throwing the rest away.
    I have let all of my subscriptions run out, but occasionally I will see a magazine cover that captures my attention. Even though I never use the patterns, the pictures do inspire me.... be it the design or the color combinations. Actually it's just good eye candy for a day that I am not actively working on a project.
    Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM

It would be nice if they'd put a mini picture on the back cover of each project in the magazine. Cooks Country does this on the back of each of their issues, and it's nice to be able to see at a glance -- and locate -- what's inside the magazine.
    Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 PM

That would be such a great idea!
    Originally Posted by CookyIN
    It would be nice if they'd put a mini picture on the back cover of each project in the magazine. Cooks Country does this on the back of each of their issues, and it's nice to be able to see at a glance -- and locate -- what's inside the magazine.
    I only subscribe to one magazine now, and occasionally buy a magazine off the shelf but haven't noticed that many that are wrapped and always look through first to make sure there will be at least a few projects I like. Maybe all the wrappers is the way magazines are going.
    Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Well, I just made the mistake of buying a magazine that I couldn't see what's inside it, there was a cd added and that prompted me to get it. After reading these posts I will be more careful before buying a magazine.
    Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Magazines are upwards of $10.00. I can buy an entire quilt book off amazon for less than that!
    Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Magazines here are around 6 dollars. I do enjoy buying a magazine now and then , because I have not bought fabric ,patterns for at least a year . I never buy any other types of magazines either . I also refuse to buy one that you can not see what is in it due to the plastic . An occasional magazine is a treat for me but I also want to see what I am buying . We all should e-mail Fons and Porter , they are the ones that do this the most .
    Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 PM
    Power Poster

Well, just what was it you were wanting to make? Maybe we can help you find a good pattern for it.
    Old 10-11-2013, 06:15 PM

I was thinking and remembered a few web sites that have small projects , one is "All Free sewing" I get e-mails almost daily from them sometimes 20-30 projects each. I know there are other freebie sites but cant think of them . Oh Craftster is another , not craftsy but Crafster it too is all free .
    Old 10-12-2013, 03:17 AM
    Banned

Has anyone written these concerns directly to the magazine.