Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Magazines >
  • Magazines

• Magazines

Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 AM

I've tried complaining about other products, but a lot of places, to even post or send an email to customer service, you have to register. Once some companies have an address, they sell it. What annoys me about this - I get 2 quilting catalogs I don't want. Told CT didn't want any info, and the other is Keepsake, whom I never bought anything from.
    Even though bulk mailing is fairly cheap, they could honor your request about no mail, and give the regular customers a price break.

I do have throwaway mail accounts just for spam, but it's still a pain.
    Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 AM

This month's McCall's Quick Quilts has table runner with matching place mats for one, smallish wall hanging and you could turn any of the quilts into small wall hangings or table runners, I was thinking of making the mittens one into a place mats using blue fabric for January.
    Old 10-12-2013, 04:14 AM
    Power Poster

You might request in "Searching for" used magazines with Christmas Craft ideas in them. Many times you can get several magazines "used" for the cost of one magazine new.
    Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 AM

For the last several years I have not subscribed to any of the quilting magazines. I found all the patterns and instruction I wanted on the internet. There are very good videos and instruction that don't cost anything. The magazines are overpriced and for the most part I don't care for the recent patterns or the "mush" fabrics that run into each other until you can't tell one from the other that they use for their pictures. When we moved I took 40 years worth of magazines to our local thrift shop and haven't missed them.
    Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 AM

I just rip open the plastic if Im that curious it may be wrong but I get to see if I want it or not and so does the next person
    Old 10-12-2013, 05:09 AM

I subscribe to 2 magazines that have articles as well as patterns. Some of the magazines on the shelf just have patterns that are older quilt blocks that have been around for decades which are presented as new just to show off new fabric lines. I avoid those. I give my magazines to a friend. When she is done she gives them to a charity shop where they sell fast.
    Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 AM
    Suz

I received this newsletter for the first time today: http://home.yourway.net/. I haven't poked around the entire site, but did find some wonderful Christmas ideas. Take a look. I did note there were two or three trees, one was red feathers?? (not sure if feathers or not). Anyhow, take a look, you might find something of interest.
    Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 AM

I have several quilt mags that come in the mail. I will probably let them run out. I'm do mostly applique now and these magazines very seldom have applique patterns. Most of the pieced quilt patterns I see in them I wouldn't make anyway. UGH! My opinion.
    Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 AM

I think they're hurting themselves by not giving the potential buyer some clue about what's in there. If I see something on the cover that looks useful and appealing to me it might make me want to buy it. Vague/general descriptions just don't do it. I need visual bait, and I'll bet most crafty people are like that.

The problem is that in recent years a lot of magazines seemed to have dumbed down. They recognize that most of their readers don't have time for big, complicated, time-consuming projects, and the thing about the quick and easy ones is that many of us look at these things and think, "I don't need a pattern for that!" Most quilt designs are based on old, old blocks that would be public domain. Copying the exact design, with the same fabric and same size would be stealing, but using the old-timey block in your own design that was inspired by something you saw would not be. So it is easy to understand the quandary a magazine editor faces when it comes to showing too much about what's inside. Having to compete with all the free patterns and inspiration on the Internet makes things harder yet.

I just can't imagine a great future for printed resources. Many of the magazines are already offered via Internet. If you are considering one, you could check their website for more clues about what's in it. You may be able to buy just the one or two patterns that interest you rather than the entire magazine.
    Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 AM

It sounds like you just want patterns, without the fillers! It's fun looking at the quilting magazines but I confess, once I leaf through (unless I bought the issue for a specific pattern) I rarely look at them again. There are so many ideas and patterns available on-line you may have just as much luck finding what you want without the expense. Lately it seems the cost of these magazines just isn't worth the content. And don't forget this board! If you can't find a good idea by asking here, well, you might want to design your own. Good luck and let us see some pics of your finished project.