Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Magazines >
  • Magazines

• Magazines

Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 AM

I take most of the quilting magazines but have found more ideas here on the board that I am going to use this year.
    Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 AM

I let all my subscriptions run out and swore I wouldn't get anymore. Then I saw Quilt it Today which was a lot cheaper and so far there has been one or two patterns in it that I would like to make. Lots of times, the magazines are inspirations.
    Old 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM

I would never buy a magazine in plastic. I agree with everyone else who said they want to know what they are buying. I've also decided to let all but one magazine subscription expire. I prefer traditional quilting. I'm just not into the modern fabrics and patterns. I'd rather go to Wal-Mart and look through a magazine to decide what to buy. In the past six months, out of the four subscriptions I receive, I've only saved one pattern. What a waste!
    Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM

When I first started quilting, I subscribed to 4-5 magazines. I have let the subscriptions "die" except for one. It is enclosed in plastic. Before that, I would get the magazine - beaten up, torn corners, etc. I think the publisher probably had complaints about the terrible condition the magazines would arrive in and started enclosing them in plastic. Maybe they enclose all in plastic - even those placed in stores for sale. Just a thought!
    Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Good for you! This was probably not the first time she 'taught' those children stealing was ok.

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Ditto what BellaBoo said! Down here after some of the clerks at the cutting table have measured the last of the bolt and marked and wrapped for remnants, many of the women mostly will take it apart decide they don't want it and throw it back into the remnant bin. I saw this happen at a Hobby Lobby. Also saw (at the same store) a women take the wrapper off and stuff the remnant into her bag. She did not get out of the store with it. When she got to the check out the cutting clerk followed her up to the cash register and handed the wrapper to her. There were words and the woman was arrested for shop lifting. Over a half yard of fabric that was priced at $3.00. She had 2 children with her.
    Old 10-12-2013, 12:13 PM

I don't buy magazines because you can find everything on all the sites on the web.
    Magazines have so little in them anymore, more advertisements than anything else.
    Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM

I too dislike the plastic wrap magazines. I don't make many projects from magazines, the resources online are bountiful! Unfortunately I can't control myself at the holidays and I noticed almost all of them are in plastic this year. I often go to the magazine's webpage to see some of the projects that month.
    Old 10-12-2013, 01:51 PM

I've seen posts about some of you getting unwanted magazines and a bill for same.
    I'm really hesitant now about joining any mag forum. I like astronomy and subscribed to Sky and Telescope for years.
    Just went to their site to make sure they didn't send me a new subscription, and there is NO WAY TO DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT! The online mag comes from Zinio which is a pain. I think one of the online quilting mags uses Zinio. Google pulls this nonsense, too, just to pad results, I think. If you can't delete an account, then the site's account total keeps accumulating and doesn't tell the real story.

I did find one mag that had a quilted nativity ornament set in it. It was Quilter's world, and no, it wasn't wrapped.

All the usual gifts like tissue holders, glasses cases, small bags, I don't know anyone who uses or wants them. The ladies I worked with had the same opinion I did - a roll of toilet paper works very well to blow your nose. so I'm looking for the more unusual quick gifts.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 10-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 AM

My local library has digital subscriptions to a couple of quilting magazines, so I'll often go online to check them out before I head to the newstand. They also have have hard copies of a couple so I tend to stop by and flip through them while they are current, and make a point of requesting them once the next issue is out. (because you cannot check out the current issue.)
    But to be honest, I don't think I've EVER made a project, large or small, from a quilting magazine. The photos are fun to look at, and I enjoy the articles.
    Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 AM

I admit it...I love mags... love to pull a stack out and browse.