Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • maintenance on computerized machine versus high speed straight stitch machine >
  • maintenance on computerized machine versus high speed straight stitch machine

• maintenance on computerized machine versus high speed straight stitch machine

Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Could someone compare the maintenance on a computerized machine like a Janome 6600 to a high speed straight stitch machine like a Juki 2010 or Janome 1600? Also what are the differect uses for each machine?
    Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Well, I am a new user of a Juki 2000... and have a computerized Brother. From other peoples comments, Lots of oil for the Juki. Oil after every use even. Also, patience with the tension seems to be what I have had to concentrate on the most.

I would say, The Juki 2000/2010 is great for FMQ, heavy duty sewing (sewing thru thick layers) and really even straight piecing. The smaller computerized machines are great for fancy stitching and also for piecing. And buttons and zippers, etc...
    Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM

i have both a computerized juki f600 that i use for piecing and machine applique and the juki 98Q for frame quilting.

if i didn't have a quilting frame i wouldn't have the 98Q, not that there's anything wrong with it because its a great machine, i just don't see the point in having both if you're going to sit and quilt.

the computerized juki that i have has a 9 inch throat so i can quilt just as easily with the computer machine and i have all the fancy stitches for machine applique.
    Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM

I had a Janome 1600 for a couple of years, and you had to keep the tension disc cleaned or cotton fluff would screw up the stitch tension. Other than that, it was flawless. I had a bunch of commercial feet for it which greatly expanded its capability. The feet cost about $5 a piece. Quite cheap when you compare domestic machine feet. I sold it last year as I wasn't doing anything with it. Probably should have kept it, now that I think of it. Might get another one or maybe a Juki 5500 Commercial Strait Stitch Machine.
    John
    Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM

The maintenance efforts on my Janome have been nil outside common sense. I change needles regularly and dust out the bobbin area between quilts. No oil has been required. I've had my machine 7 years. No problems at all with the computer. Sorry, I can't compare it to other machines.
    Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Thank you for your input.
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 AM

I dont have those machines but do have a computerized Viking and a Baby Lock strait stitch.
    Big difference between them.
    My computer machine is a Sapphire 830 amd has to be maintananced at a shop every year.
    The strait stitch needs oiling but havnt had it long enough to do it yet. It is like steping back in time it is primitive. Threading is complicated and takes alot of steps compared with just the few my computer machine takes.
    Both machines need the bobbin area free of lint so check often.
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 AM

A straight stitch machine is always easier to work on. Its like a long arm machine, that only does straight striching. The only thing to worry about is the tension, and if you keep it clean that isn't really a problem.

Lanny
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 AM

I can only speak to the Janome 6600. I love my machine but it insists on being kept very clean in the bobbin area. If you regularly clean it out and change needles like you're supposed to, it will work great for you.
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Love all the input - great info