Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Major dilemma- to unpick or carry on regardless >
  • Major dilemma- to unpick or carry on regardless

• Major dilemma- to unpick or carry on regardless

Old 07-10-2015, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

Be gentle with remove the thread because you don't want the block to get wonky. Great to do during TV with the family.
    Old 07-10-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Serianas
    Fabulous thanks eveyone! Cant wait to go home and fix it now... only two quilting-less hours to go may have time to fit some in before seeing to the horse. Then some after... then all weekend...
    Sounds like my weekend plans, except without the bit about the horse...
    Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Agree with sew a deeper seam..
    But I must honestly say my hubby teases me that "I think you enjoy taking your stitches out more than you do making the quilt.".
    Because if I've made a mistake, more often than not I'll take it out...even if it's a lot of stitches. Or I'll start over..

Regards,
    Kif
    Old 07-11-2015, 04:43 AM

You have received good advice about just taking a deeper seam. The seam will lie flat and after it is pressed and quilted into the top, no one will be the wiser. It will be a strong seam and should last your lifetime. Good luck and happy stitching!
    Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 AM

Take the pieces a
    part to the point where you have only two pieces pieced together and restitch at 1/4 inch. Only half the work.
    Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Glad to see that you decided to unpick and redo. A friend who was new to quilting made a baby quilt and did 1/8" seams since she figured why waist the extra fabric for 1/4" seams. When she washed her quilt it came apart that is why we use 1/4" seams.
    Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Perhaps you can test this on one block for the quilt. I would simply stitch another seam that is a scant 1/4". Your 1/8" seam will be caught in the seam allowance and since piecework is usually pressed to one side instead of open you shouldn't have any issues. It will save you the unpicking part. I would test it on one block though to make sure it works. In theory it should but theory doesn't always manifest into reality.
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest. You're pressing the seam to the side anyways. It would mean that you only need to pick apart your rows, not the entire quilt. I had to do this once to add another 1/8" to my seam allowance because I brought crappy fabric at a Big Box store (where all crappy fabric lives) and the fabric was starting to tear near one of the seams. So I made all my seams 3/8" for the entire quilt. I just had to learn to stop pressing my seams open (which is apparently the "wrong" way to do it anyways) and to press them to alternating sides instead. It maybe added a tiny bit of bulk to your seams, but not enough for me to worry about if you're not putting it in a show.
    Old 07-11-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Serianas
    Whats the difference between a scant and a normal 1/4 inch seam? Ive never come across this before but it sounds exciting...
    A "scant" 1/4 inch seam is just one needle adjustment closer to the edge of the fabric so that when the seams are pressed, the little bit of fabric that wraps the sewing threads, will not make your seams take up extra fabric that you have not allowed for in the cutting. It really makes it easier to match seams. Be careful to read the pattern instructions, if they say 1/4 inch seams they have allowed for the whole 1/4", but if it says "scant 1/4" then you need to make them that size. If you make your own patterns, it is much easier to just add 1/4" seams, then sew with a "scant" 1/4". Welcome to our obssession!
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:09 PM
    Power Poster

As you can tell by my name, I am quite proficient at ripping out stitches. I usually rip out if something is wonky. Sometimes I just sew next to the original stitching. I don't mind ripping. It is relaxing to me. Go figure. Should I be checked by a professional?
    Old 07-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Look at the bright side...any needle holes as a result of unstitching will be entirely hidden with a deeper seam.