Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Major luck >
  • Major luck

• Major luck

Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM

I will have to find a way to get them outside to photograph, but I have to tell you how lucky I am today. I found a couple listings for yard sales today, and went out with the dh to check them out. And hit it lucky, big time.

I stopped at one house, where she had a small table with fabric, and next to it was another table with two quilts on it, prices listed at $15 for a pink quilt and $45 for another. Great prices, right? While I was standing there, I get a cramp in my foot, and it starts working painfully up my right leg, and I know it was showing in my face. But no way was I leaving, if I ended up rolling on the ground, lol. I told her I wanted the stack of fabric, which she had said was $1 a piece. I walked over and was trying to look at the quilt, by now almost doubled in pain. I told dh to stand by the fabric.

She said...the one quilt is only machine quilted. I told her I was not prejudiced. We were unfolding the quilts to look at them. You cannot believe how gorgeous they are. Dh was drooling over the one. I asked her what she wanted for all the material, and told her I wanted both the quilts.

I nearly fell over when she said, "Today the quilts are $5.00 each, so how about $20 for everything. Oh yes, please, please, please. I could not pay her fast enough, lol. We filled my trunk. A lot of the material is stuff she used to make cushions, etc...and she had a huge bag of long zippers. But I paid $20, and came home with two quilts to die for. I promise to get photos as soon as possible.

Then....on the way home, I saw one sign and as much as I was hurting, HAD to go to that sale. I picked up a sewing machine cabinet that my machine may or may not fit in, but it sure will fit ON IT, and I can stop using my ironing board. $5.

I am in quilt heaven today....and took two pain pills, lol...and will feel much better soon.

And.....on a side note, I have been trying to find a bird rescue to donate my four bird cages to FOREVER. We stopped at a sale where the man had a cage. I joked that if he sold it, send anyone who needed more to my house. Turns out he needed a bigger cage for his cockatiel, and is connected with bird rescues, and is going to come get all those cages for me. HURRAY!!!! What a perfect yard sale day.
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Wow, what a jackpot, you did great!!! Enjoy your victory.
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 AM

You had a great day. I am never so lucky.
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Awesome find, lucky lucky you.
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 AM

I'm envious. I stopped at a garage sale today where they had a car engine for sale. If God had wanted me to work on cars, I'd have greasy fingers....That's my luck, car engines.
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM
    Power Poster

score :thumbup:
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

Wow! Happy day for you! Congrats on your finds! Hope you show us your goodies! :)
    Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Can't wait to see the photos of your great finds, lucky you!
    Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Green with envy. Our city has a city wide on right now and I didn't see any fabric. Of course, it's impossible to hit all of them.
    Old 10-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
    I picked up a sewing machine cabinet that my machine may or may not fit in, but it sure will fit ON IT, and I can stop using my ironing board. $5.
    I added a shelf to my MIL's old sewing desk for my machine to sit on, so it is level with the top. It doesn't fold in like the old machines did, but for the cost of a scrap of plywood, a couple of L brackets, some spray paint, and a new laminate top, for a total of $28 I have a gorgeous sewing desk.