Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Making a bow tucks bag... (vent) >
  • Making a bow tucks bag... (vent)

• Making a bow tucks bag... (vent)

Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
    Power Poster

I have used the fusable fleece and the batting with basting spray. Both worked, but for me the batting and spray is much cheaper.
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM

I had the same problem once with the fusible fleece. It would stick in one area and not another. I read somewhere that if you first use a very lightweight, all cotton fusible interfacing, then use the fusible fleece over that, it will work beautifully. I have not tried it, but I will when I make another bag. I would probably try it on a scrap of fabric first. I think pre washing the fabric might also be a good idea.
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 AM

I should mention if you use the two layer interfacing, to be sure the first, lightweight one is a WOVEN interfacing to stabilize the piece, then apply the fusible fleece. I read an Amy Butler interfacing guide that talks about layering interfacings, that says as an example, you can use a medium weight, woven interfacing first, then applying a fusible Thermolam Fleece. I have never used the Thermolam, and don't know if it adds enough body for a tote or handbag, but it is worth checking out. I don't have any Thermolam, but I have the 987 fusible fleece on hand, so will try that over the woven.......
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM

I found that you do have to leave the iron on it quite awhie and I also use my steam. I haven't had any problems after "playing" with it for awhile. ALSO, I NEVER pre wash my fabric and I've made about six or seven of them so far. I'm also very "hesitant" and don't do a lot of quilting. Have found a few other shortcuts, if anybody wants to know, pm me....
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM

I used steam to fuse mine and pressed on both sides (the pellon and the fabric), but when you quilt it everything stays nice and firm. Stick with it, they are worth the effort. I have finished 4 now and want to carry on.
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 AM

I love the way people share on this board. it so Cool :thumbup:
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
    and I have to say I do NOT like this fusible fleece! It is not sticking good and is just being a pia. I think felt would be easier. I cut material for 2 bags.....at this rate i may only make one though! Its what they recommended in the pattern too. I saw one of these bags at the Toga and loved it...she said she took a class to make it. I can believe that!
    I too had a tote bag pattern recommend the iron on fusible fleece. It didn't work for me either. And yes, I tried all the known "did you trys" I do like the spray.
    Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM

I just came to the board to ask this very same question. Yesterday I was making a fabric "box" and the fused side looks wrinkly today. I've made a couple of purses using the same fleece and they don't look wonderful (I didn't want to quilt them).

My arms ache from pressing down so hard on the iron (I set the board down very low so I could get a good weight on it) and I used steam, wet presscloth (like my instructions say) and did everything twice, then went over it all again with just the iron on both sides. Each time I left it to cool completely before I touched it.

Just sign me "fed up" - I have two new purse patterns I'm dying to try, don't know what to do - guess I'll have to quilt them.
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
    Google Goddess

did you get it fixed yet
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Oh wow, I hope you figure this out. I will be keeping touch to see how it goes. I've been looking at making one of these myself but I don't want to end up being frustrated with it.
    Muriel