Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done? >
  • Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done?

• Making a finished quilt bigger...can this be done?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
    I would just make a new quilt. She can use the old one as a snuggle quilt.

There isn't any way to add borders on a scalloped quilt without dissembling the quilt in a rather significant way. Even floating the quilt on new material requires you to disassemble the quilt so that you can applique it to the new material. No sense in going through that much work since your granddaughter will outgrow (mentally) that quilt in a couple of years as she will want 'big girl' design.

Nothing needs to be disassembled at all. Borders could be added under the scallops sort of like a ruffle would be added to a skirt under the skirt proper. +
    Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jcrilley
    Make a new quilt - much easier and more fun.
    If the kiddo likes her old quilt there is no reason in hte world to lay it aside and start new.
    Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    Ooooooh! A challenge! What would I do? Hmmmmmmm. Okay, I would leave the scallop edge and attach a wide border, just to the inside of where the scallop starts. The scallop would become a 3-D feature, on top of the new section. The new border would have batting, like a regular piece of the quilt BUT I would attach it to the underside of the old quilt, with an non-batted layer of fabric (QAYG style). This would become a new inner border on the old section. I would secure it, by adding two rows of quilting to the new joining - one along the base of the
    scallops and one along the edge of the single layer, an inch or so in from the first line.

I hope that makes sense. It's easy to see it, in my head. . . but not so easy, to explain it.
    I would do this BUT I would not attach it under the scallops. I would use some Velcro or similar so that it is detachable.
    This would be a quick and easy way. Just thought large poppers, press studs ,could use the strips no would need to sew.. It would also make washing easy and could make a not exact colour match not be noticed. It also means no unpicking.
    Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    Ooooooh! A challenge! What would I do? Hmmmmmmm. Okay, I would leave the scallop edge and attach a wide border, just to the inside of where the scallop starts. The scallop would become a 3-D feature, on top of the new section. The new border would have batting, like a regular piece of the quilt BUT I would attach it to the underside of the old quilt, with an non-batted layer of fabric (QAYG style). This would become a new inner border on the old section. I would secure it, by adding two rows of quilting to the new joining - one along the base of the scallops and one along the edge of the single layer, an inch or so in from the first line.

I hope that makes sense. It's easy to see it, in my head. . . but not so easy, to explain it.
    I would do similar but not join on. Make a valence and fasten with Velcro, press studs poppers etc under the scallops .
    This means no unpicking and washing split into smaller sections.,with another could you zip together. (Not thought this zip through)
    Old 10-21-2013, 02:00 AM
    Reb

Originally Posted by Stitch124
    Wow -- thanks for the great ideas! Here'a pic of her current quilt. I like the idea of adding borders around the edges, but making a new coordinating quilt would be much easier. I'll check with her mommy (my daughter) to see what she wants.
    I know I'm going to sound like Linus here but I actually do have my original pink blanket. It happens to be a good lap size. Just a suggestion, if your DGD (or DD) is that fond of this very pretty quilt, depending on the size, it could make a nice wallhanging. If either wanted it updated, you could do so with some applique.
    Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I would do this BUT I would not attach it under the scallops. I would use some Velcro or similar so that it is detachable.
    This would be a quick and easy way. Just thought large poppers, press studs ,could use the strips no would need to sew.. It would also make washing easy and could make a not exact colour match not be noticed. It also means no unpicking.
    LOL, you must like sewing with velcro more than I do. I'd make a 10-12" ruffle for a quick solution and SEW it under the scallops.
    Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM

The hook half of velcro is not very fabric-friendly in the wash, unless it's fastened securely to its soft half.